x

previous user of recycled gift card received receipt for transaction

Using square stand for appointments...to work around Square's inability to combine multiple appointments into a single transaction for checkout (beauty industry - commission-based employees; different family members with different appointments want to pay with one transaction), we add a gift card to one of the appointment checkout transactions, then use that gift card to checkout the other appointments.  we use the same gift card for this over and over

Recently, a previous "purchaser" of a gift card reported that she received a receipt for a transaction that wasn't hers.  I reviewed the transaction history of the gift card - she was the previous user of the gift card.

How does this happen...and what can we do to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

@scootsch

A lot happening here, so it just to get to the root of this, Are you using plastic gift cards? Sometimes when a balance has not been fully cleared, and the card is reloaded, a previously used email can still be tied to the card. This happens if there is even a $.01 charge on it. 

If that is not the case, we'd really want our support team to look into this because it may be there is some corrupted data, and re-installing the App can take care of issues like that and to keep them from happening in the future.

To make sure you gift cards has a zero balance before issuing we'd suggest checking the balance on the card

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 2 of 4

Yes - plastic gift cards purchased through Square's vendor.  I looked at the history of the card - it was at zero after the customer that received the receipt used it (before it was re-used).

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Thanks for clarifying, @scootsch. (I'm jumping in for kellyj here)

More than anything, that sounds buggy. Were you able to contact our support team?

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4