x

remove adhesive plate from counter

Give me the best way to get the adhesive silver plate off my walnut counter...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

Use this advice at your risk as I am not a professional adhesive remover. Also, I have no idea how nice of a walnut counter you have.

• Use a blow dryer on high heat and a piece of flat plastic (to minimize counter damage). You'll probably need some mitts or something as that silver plate will get hot.
  • Get something called Goof Off. They come in different strengths. You would have to choose which one would be safest for your counter. Use this in conjunction with a piece of flat plastic.

With either method work slowly and do not force anything. You can also use the combination of both methods. The first to remove the plate and the second to remove any remaining residue. If you have no Goof Off to purchase nearby, then you can use most types of cooking oils or baby oil with a little elbow grease. 

One last tip: before using any kind of liquids adhesive remover or oil on your counter, spot test it an inconspicuous area.

There are many more methods found over on Youtube but stick to the basics and use a bit of common sense. Best wishes.

Message 2 of 3

Thank you very much. This is similar advice that I got from a couple woodworking professionals, so I think this is probably the best advice for wood counters, when most people have a laminate or a granite. The counter is very nice, and my dad made it, so it is even more special....

Thank you for lending your time and experience to this matter. It was very helpful. 

Message 3 of 3