x

Can I use the contactless square with multiple phones?

I run a dance business with several teachers at different venues.  We use one venue 2 times a week with different teachers.  Everytime i try and connect to the square reader i need to remove it and then repair (i assume because it has been paired to another teachers phone on the other night).  Is there a way to allow 2 phones to be paired to the one reader (with only one connected at any time)?  Simialr to a bluetooth speaker where i could have many phones paired to the one device, but only one playing music at any time.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @cornerpocketswi,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community!

At the moment we don't allow our readers to be used on multiple devices at the same time - the reason for this is that there'd be too much risk that the wrong customer would pay for the wrong transaction.

With that said, you may still be able to pair the reader on two different devices and use them both without needing to forget and re-pair each time. Anecdotal experience says this works more consistently if these devices are in different locations. The issue with both devices being in the vicinity of each other is that if both devices are in use, we don't have a way to prioritise one device over the other. Something you could try though is this:

1) Pair the reader to device 1.

2) Use the reader/app as needed on device 1.

3) Close the app on that device 1.

4) Pair the reader on device 2.

5) Use the reader as needed on device 2.

6) Close the app on device 2.

7) Open the app on device 1 and see if it can now connect without manual re-pairing.

While I can't confirm this will work for sure, my thoughts are that as long as you don't have the app open on both devices simultaneously, you may be able to switch between them without needing to forget then re-pair. If you want to try this I'd be interested to know if it's a viable solution for you!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @cornerpocketswi,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community!

At the moment we don't allow our readers to be used on multiple devices at the same time - the reason for this is that there'd be too much risk that the wrong customer would pay for the wrong transaction.

With that said, you may still be able to pair the reader on two different devices and use them both without needing to forget and re-pair each time. Anecdotal experience says this works more consistently if these devices are in different locations. The issue with both devices being in the vicinity of each other is that if both devices are in use, we don't have a way to prioritise one device over the other. Something you could try though is this:

1) Pair the reader to device 1.

2) Use the reader/app as needed on device 1.

3) Close the app on that device 1.

4) Pair the reader on device 2.

5) Use the reader as needed on device 2.

6) Close the app on device 2.

7) Open the app on device 1 and see if it can now connect without manual re-pairing.

While I can't confirm this will work for sure, my thoughts are that as long as you don't have the app open on both devices simultaneously, you may be able to switch between them without needing to forget then re-pair. If you want to try this I'd be interested to know if it's a viable solution for you!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 10

Thanks for your feedback Sheamus.

We are attempting to do what you descibe in steps 1-7 but it fails at  step 7 as device 1 can't connect back to the reader after device 2 has been paired with it.  Only 1 phone device is ever in operation but it seems once paired to a phone (even after app closed) the reader will not connect to a second phone without going through the entire process again.

Message 3 of 10

When the device 1 or device 2 are attempting to connect the other device is not in the proximity (as the other device is with the non attendeing teacher) 

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Hey @cornerpocketswi,

Sorry to hear this didn't work! I imagine that a bluetooth connection is being maintained on a device level rather than just an app level. Sorry we don't have a better solution for now - I'll pass your feedback on to our product team though as way of tracking this issue.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 10

Ok I have read this reply how about if only one phone and location is used at any one time, then can you have 2 different phone number  paired to the one reader and how do you apply, ?

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Gooddog123,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here in the Seller Community!

It sounds like you'd like to use Square on two phones, with two readers at the same time which is easily doable. You can sign in to the same account on both devices, pair each device to a reader, and take payments as per usual. 

Please let us know how you go!

Message 7 of 10

I am experiencing this problem also. It locks up the app says it has a connection bluetooth says it has a connection but when I select an item to change and click on it the Square does NOT light up to show its receiving the charge details, thus unable to make a transaction. We seem Powered the phone off and on again, turned Bluetooth off & on, deleted the app and reloaded. Then when you ask to connect via the app it goes thru the steps but then will not make the physical connection.

End result NO SALES.

Message 8 of 10

Further testing indicate that it maybe necessary to sign out of your account on your phone to fully release it. Planning a test of this 18-May-21.

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi @SingAustBayside,

Thank you for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your Square Reader to your phone!

When two phones that a Square Reader has been paired to are present, the reader might have trouble discerning which device to pair to. 

There are a few things you can try, without having to completely sign in and out of the account on the phone, or deleting the app. 

1. Before turning on your Square Reader, turn off Bluetooth on the phone you're not using to take payments. This is to ensure it's not trying to establish a connection with the wrong device.

2. Go to your phone's general settings, and search for the Square app to ensure that Bluetooth is also enabled on the app level. 

3. Open the Square App and go to More > Settings > Hardware > Square Reader

4. Previously connected readers will show under My Readers. Tap on your reader and press the button on your reader to establish a connection between the phone and reader. 

5. If the Square Reader isn't connecting to your phone, select "Forget this Reader". Once you've forgotten the reader, you can pair it again from the previous menu. Pairing it again through this step will only take a few seconds. 

Please let us know how you go! 

Message 10 of 10