x

Can you use 2 different bank accounts?

Can you use 2 different bank accounts into your device with the one reader, and how?

Message 1 of 15
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @wjd,

Yes, any Australian Square Reader can work with any Australian Square account - the reader itself has no private info stored inside.

Another business would need their own Square account activated for payments and signed into the Square app on a compatible mobile device - as long as they have this set up, then they can use the Square reader with their account.

Keep in mind that the reader will only connect to one mobile device at a time, so you wouldn't be able to connect it to two mobile devices simultaneously!  

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Raelene,

Thanks for reaching out!

Keep in mind that the reader itself isn't tied to any particular Square or bank account. Where your transactions are sent is determined by the Square account you are logged into on the app when you take a payment. Any Australian Square Reader can take payments for any Australian Square account!

If you're looking to take payments for the same business, but going to a different bank account, look into setting up another location - you'll be able to assign a different bank account to a different location. To change the location on the app, you'll need to have first created a new location. Then sign out of the app and back in again, and you'll be required to select which location you wish to take payments for (and by extension which bank account they'll go to).

Alternatively, if the business or organisation you're looking to take payments for falls under a different ABN to the first business, you will need to create a new Square account to ensure the payments are attributed to the correct ABN for tax purposes. Simply sign out of your existing account to create a new one - keep in mind you'll need to use a different email address.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hey @wjd,

Thanks for reaching out!

Are you looking to take payments for different businesses registered to different ABNs? To do this you'd need to create separate Square accounts for your different businesses. A payment is tied to whichever Square account you're logged into when you take the payment on the Point of Sale app.

You can use the same Square reader to take payments for different businesses, you'd need to sign in and out of each Square account according to who you're taking the payment for at the time.

Hope this helps, please let me know if you have any follow up questions ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 15

Thank you Seamus. Another Q: Can you share a reader with different devices such as mobile phones belonging to other individuals with different bank accounts, such as a community share, or is the reader "SIMed" to only one device?

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @wjd,

Yes, any Australian Square Reader can work with any Australian Square account - the reader itself has no private info stored inside.

Another business would need their own Square account activated for payments and signed into the Square app on a compatible mobile device - as long as they have this set up, then they can use the Square reader with their account.

Keep in mind that the reader will only connect to one mobile device at a time, so you wouldn't be able to connect it to two mobile devices simultaneously!  

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 15

Thank you Seamus. Your answer solved my question. ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 5 of 15

Hi, I have tried to link the square to my second bank account which is for a separate business (I have two). Once linked up the older link disappeared. How can I switch between the two accounts depending on the service/payment? 

Message 6 of 15

I have purchased a 2nd square reader and was trying to set it up with a 2nd bank account. On my laptop it only shows 1 square reader (the new one) linked to 1st reader account., and not showing 1st reader. If I login through my phone it shows both readers, but funds are only going into 1st account when used by myself and square testing ($0.1). So how do I setup 2nd reader with a different account to1st reader. ( I have a 2nd business)

Raelene

Message 7 of 15
Admin

Hey @LekkerYummy,

Thanks for getting in touch!

If you're looking to take payments for different businesses, I'll refer you to the advice offered previously in this thread, and that's to set up a separate new Square account for the second business. You can continue to use the same hardware, but you should have a separate account for another business, which will need to be registered with a different email.

You can swap between two Square accounts by signing in and out of the app , then you can assign different bank accounts to each Square account.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 15

I have 2 square readers, 1 for each business, but want a different bank account for each reader. Raelene

Message 9 of 15
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Raelene,

Thanks for reaching out!

Keep in mind that the reader itself isn't tied to any particular Square or bank account. Where your transactions are sent is determined by the Square account you are logged into on the app when you take a payment. Any Australian Square Reader can take payments for any Australian Square account!

If you're looking to take payments for the same business, but going to a different bank account, look into setting up another location - you'll be able to assign a different bank account to a different location. To change the location on the app, you'll need to have first created a new location. Then sign out of the app and back in again, and you'll be required to select which location you wish to take payments for (and by extension which bank account they'll go to).

Alternatively, if the business or organisation you're looking to take payments for falls under a different ABN to the first business, you will need to create a new Square account to ensure the payments are attributed to the correct ABN for tax purposes. Simply sign out of your existing account to create a new one - keep in mind you'll need to use a different email address.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 15

Hi Seamus,

I am thinking about setting up a "separate location" for our business so we can use a separate bank account for donations. as A NFP with DGR status we have a separate account that our donations need to go into. 

I am wondering if I set up 2 locations, could I then set up a different online store just for donations so that it goes to our other bank account? 

Another idea I had was about setting up a 3rd location that is just for our digital package sales. If it is possible to have a separate online store so that I could change the settings of the confirmation email to include the download details for the digital package. This element only works if it is a separate store as I dont want that info for everyone. 

So I would essentially be wanting 3 'locations' or stores set up with 2 bank accounts under the one ABN. Can I do that?

Message 11 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @roundaboutcirc ๐Ÿ™‚

Once you've set up your second (or third!) location, you'll be able to create websites for those locations as well. More about creating multiple websites in this guide.  As each location allows you to connect a different bank account, you can easily make sure that your donations are going to the right place.

At this time, Square online doesn't have the ability to include a link in order confirmation emails, but it's a feature request we're tracking here. You could still set up the third location, and email your customers the digital guide manually. 

Let us know if this could be a workable workaround for you! 

Message 12 of 15

I want 1 bank account on two devises

Message 13 of 15

How to set up on second devise

Message 14 of 15
Admin

Hey @mariesmithart,

Thanks for getting in touch!

Have you followed the advice in the posts marked "Best Answer" in this thread? You can do this by setting up multiple locations on your Square account, of if the payments are for another business you will need to set up a new Square account for the new business ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 15 of 15