x

Can you use the square without adding an ABN

Hi I was trying to find out if I can use the square without an ABN I have been told I don’t need one but when I looked at the app it won’t let me register without one can anybody tell me how to set this up properly 

Message 1 of 18
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @sweet58,

Thanks for reaching out! Depends what you're planning on taking payments for.

This would be doable under our terms of service for a sole trader / individual hobby business. You'd need to leave the ABN field blank, then select "sole trader / individual" from the next field. Note that funds here are still reported to the ATO for tax purposes, but under your personal info rather than your ABN. Hope this helps!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @sweet58,

Thanks for reaching out! Depends what you're planning on taking payments for.

This would be doable under our terms of service for a sole trader / individual hobby business. You'd need to leave the ABN field blank, then select "sole trader / individual" from the next field. Note that funds here are still reported to the ATO for tax purposes, but under your personal info rather than your ABN. Hope this helps!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 18

I have done that it will not let me finish it unless I give it a bisness name and an ABN I think I have stuffed it up some how 

Message 3 of 18
Admin

@sweet58 - you definitely need to provide a business name - something that your customers can identify you by on their bank statements, even if it's something like "Garage Sale 123 Smith St". The only field you can leave blank is the ABN field, per the previous instructions 👍

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 18

I am finishing sign up and need to set up as individual not business which I have been advised I can do but it is not giving me the option and won't let me finish sign up without business/ABN details ... can someone please advise

Message 5 of 18
Admin

Hey @Mtrains

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble getting started!

I've moved your post to this thread which covers how to set up as a sole trader without an ABN in the comment marked as "Best Answer" - if you try these steps does it now work for you?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 18

Why it asks to identify myself it wants a business role.  This is for an individual who is selling things off from a deceased estate at a market ..... what do we choose as it is not for a business.

Message 7 of 18
Admin

Hey @Mtrains,

Thanks for reaching out!

If there's not an exact role you should be able to choose the most generic one that suggests you're acting as a representative - without going through the sign-up process myself, I think it's called "officer" or "agent" or "representative" or something similar 🙂

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 18

It is not for a business though and is wanting to credit check it like a business

Message 9 of 18
Admin

Hey @Mtrains,

This is the process you'll actually need to go through to sign up with card processing facilities with Square, regardless of the specific use case.

It might be a good idea to check in with support though, if you're using this for personal sales rather than business - under our terms you need to use Square for business purposes, though an estate sale does seem like a bit of a grey area!

You call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact support via online chat:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Go to "Other"" then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message Us"

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 10 of 18

I’m trying to set this up for our playgroup. We are unincorporated and this is just for members to make payments. We don’t need an ABN. How do I register without one?

Message 11 of 18
Admin

Hey @HiltonPG,

Unfortunately we're not able to support payments for organisations without an ABN.

For your playgroup, I recommend getting an "Other Unincorporated Entity" ABN, which is what other organisations like yours tend to get to sign up for finance services. We're in the process of building a payments solution for this ABN as part of work we're doing to launch payments for NFPs, community groups, associations and clubs.

We expect to launch support for this ABN in the new few months, so if you're keen on using Square for payments it might be worth getting an ABN ready for when we launch support for NFP-based ABNs.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 18

There are numerous things online saying that square can be used for individual use. This seems to be untrue. Under law we are not required to report income from a hobby or garage sale but you are forcing us to.

Looks like I stick this in a drawer and buy a PayPal one.

VERY DISAPPOINTED AND DISSATISFIED. 

Message 13 of 18
Admin

Hey @GoingToPaypal!

To clarify, Square can definitely be used for hobby businesses and individual business use such as a garage sale.

This shouldn't cause any issues provided the overall income for your hobby doesn't exceed what fits the definition of a hobby business. However I should state that I am not a registered finance or tax professional and suggest you chat to an accountant or tax consultant if you'd like to learn more about your reporting obligations and how payments made via electronic payments systems will impact this. 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 14 of 18

Took a little while for me to work out how to set up for a one night fund raising event but but eventually got it working. Thanks Seamus

Message 15 of 18

However I should state that I am not a registered finance or tax professional.
You sure seem to have opinions on what people are required to do.  My company has an ACN, doesn't need to be registered for an ABN at this stage - Can't get access to square.

The large print givith and the small print taketh away...
Message 16 of 18

I am trying to register a square reader I've purchased but it won't let me input an Australian address and then if it skips that it keeps asking for an ABN.

I am an individual, so don't have an ABN.

Please help

Message 17 of 18
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Melindarm 👋 

I've merged your post to this thread where someone had the same question. We merge posts in the community to make answers easier to find. Please let us know how you go!

Message 18 of 18