x

Feature Request: Custom inventory adjustment reasons, tracking for items given as samples

I would like to be able to add custom Inventory adjustments. I found a previous thread but am unclear what the result is. I would like to be able to use 'Comp' or 'Sample' as one reason, as well as 'Other Sale' for when a sale is made separately to using Square, but I still need to track the inventory reduction. Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @AdamHM,

Thanks for getting in touch!

At the moment we don't have a way of adding custom inventory adjustment reasons on our POS app - you'd need to pick from one of the following:

I can see how this would be a very handy feature though - obviously the above 6 options don't cover every reason you may recount stock! I'll certainly pass on your feedback to our product team - we track feature requests and the most requested features tend to drive what we build, so it's important to have your voice heard!

You may also be able to use a combination of things like Comp and Void and Discounts (eg a 100% discount for a free sample) to try and achieve what you're trying to do! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

I would also like to be able to sell samples of fabric.  Our samples have a cost and they need to be ordered at the same product page as the item - a tick box to buy a sample at a preset price.

Its a feature that almost all our competitors use so it would be useful to have it like a modifier that people can tick and it is added to the cart without paying for a number of items.

Message 3 of 6

Hi Seamus

re:

'You may also be able to use a combination of things like Comp and Void and Discounts (eg a 100% discount for a free sample) to try and achieve what you're trying to do!'

It's true you can achieve what you're trying to do to a certain extent. Discounting 'samples' 100% doesn't work for a number reasons. reporting, averaging costs etc

Comp and Void does but its finicky, and especially if a business uses multiple different samples many times per week. 

a simple sample preset would be a fabulous option.

Cheers

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi @mhweft @Geoffro

You can actually "sell" free items on Square Online and your Point of Sale, and, if you use Square for Retail, enter the cost of each sample, too. Here's how you can get started:

1. Visit Items > Site Items in your Square Online Dashboard.

2. Select an item that you're offering a sample for, and scroll down to Variations > Add / Manage Variations.

3. Add your sample as a variation and set the price - this can be $0.00 if your samples are free. You can also add a photo via the +.

4. Hit save when you're done. 

If you're tracking unit cost, you can add this from your dashboard via the Item tab ๐Ÿ‘

I hope this helps - let us know how you go! 

Message 5 of 6

I will give it a go and see how it looks!

Cheers

Message 6 of 6