x

Customer name on receipts

Customer name on receipts

Hi I am new to square. .is there a way of having the customers name come up on the receipt? Please note I am not wanting to know about invoices.. thanks

70 Comments

It’s tricky but it does work. Here are the steps 

• Set up the sale

• Go in to review sale

• Tap on your item

• Now you will see a space for notes, type your customers name in here and Save. You should now see the note in your sale 😊

Admin

Hey @TiimRMT,

I tested this out just now via the Virtual Terminal and it worked - though I don't actually have a Terminal to test this specific integration. @Smarthealing has also offered some advice on doing this on the Terminal itself:

• Set up the sale

• Go in to review sale

• Tap on your item

• Now you will see a space for notes, type your customers name in here and Save.

If neither of these work it would probably be a good idea to get in touch with our Support team for more assistance here - You can call on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time (AEST).

Hello Seamus,

It appears I'm not the only one with the same gripe.

I have read through and tested various features indicated both here in forums and in application to no avail.

We run a hire business where we hold bonds for customers until they return our gear.

I can't find where we find the clients name attached to a specific transaction to confirm a) if they've paid and b) we can refund that specific payment.

The above posts work around of writing a customers details into a notes section seems slow, clunky and potentially inaccurate to me.

Is this a feature that I simply have not found yet (frustrating) or is this a hole in the square offering (even more frustrating).

Thanks

John

Admin

Hey @missfit,

At the moment there's no way to have a customer's name automatically appear on a receipt unfortunately - the notes section is it for now if you want a customer's name to appear on a receipt issued by Square.

In terms of tying a customer name/contact to a sale for tracking who has purchased what, and to also check if a payment has been refunded, this is definitely doable! You can do this either at the time of processing the sale on the Point of Sale app, or add the customer to a transaction after the fact.

Take a look at Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App to see how to do this at the time of processing the transaction on the Point of Sale app.

If you want to add a customer to a transaction from the Online Dashboard after the fact, you can do this from the Transactions section:

1. Locate the transaction

2. Click on the transaction

3. Use the "..." button to select "Add Customer"

Once a customer has been tied to a transaction, you can go to the Customer Directory and click on a customer's name to bring up a list under "Activity" in the right side panel.

Hope this helps - let me know if you are still having any difficulty tying transactions to customer listings and where in the above steps you may be getting stuck!

Beta Member

That's great but the ability to customise a receipt and use template tags like {{Customer.full_name}} or "{{Customer.first_name}} {{Customer.last_name}}" is much overdue.

This feature has been asked for many years. I primarily use Square Appointments and hardware to provide in-home remedial massage and physical therapy.

It is an absolute industry requirement for health funds in Australia that the customer's name (and preferably their address) appear on the receipt in order for them to claim a rebate.

I have to waste time (and money!) generating separate receipts outside of Square for all my health fund customers. Manually adding the customer's name and/or address in the 'Notes' each and every time is not an acceptable solution which has been suggested over and over in the forums for years!

It is now at the point that we are actively looking for alternatives to Square Appointments and hardware for our business.

I totally agree. This is a must have feature in Australia

Does the feedback to the appropriate team go straight into the shredder ?

In charge of a massage business 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Ian17,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to our community!

I've merged your question to this thread, where we answered this question before. 

It seems such a basic feature !!! it has been requested for many years yet no response from Square...it is time to find another pos.