x

Failing to pair iphone to square reader

Connecting iphone to square reader first time. Fails to pair stating reader not compatible with country I am in (Australia). Purchased in Australia. Box says Australia. Account created in Australia. Have tried 1) restarting phone 2) force quitting reader 3) Created new account to ENSURE I created an Australian account 4) tried many times with same error 5) iphone IOS 14.3

Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @LisaLoo,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your reader!

The issues you're describing is related to the reader being activated with a different country's Square account for the very first time. When first activated, the reader updates the firmware applicable to the country of registration for the Square account it's connecting to. This is permanent and can't be changed.

Each country has slightly different operating requirements for card processing devices, so it sounds like the reader is tied to either the US, Canada, UK or Japan, and not Australia.

Where did you purchase the reader, and did you notice whether the box may have been previously open? It's possible it was a returned retail unit with this issue, and the retailer may not have been aware of that and re-sold the unit.

Or it's possible that the first account you created was set to the wrong country.

Either way, we'd need to replace the reader. if you purchased it at retail I recommend taking it back and swapping for a brand new unit.

If you don't have the receipt, or purchased through Square, we can replace the reader for you under the warranty replacement instructions here.

Hope this helps, and apologies for the inconvenience! Let me know how you go or if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2