x

Feature Request: Adding Afterpay to the Square Website as a payment option

We were looking at Afterpay for our square website online store and wondered if anyone knew if this was possible?

Message 1 of 169
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 01/01/2022: Afterpay is now available with Square Online! We'll continue to work on integrating Afterpay across Square's product ecosystem, availability with Square Online is just the start 🙂

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

--------

@jhughe @Handpoked I totally understand the frustration here - having read and responded to dozens of comments such as yours over a long period of time, I'm aware of the impact that a lack of Afterpay support has on Square Online sellers who value having it as a payment method.

You won't currently find a bigger internal advocate for Afterpay support at Square than myself, and the feedback and comments we see on our Seller Community are something I regularly pass on to internal teams.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 82 of 169
168 REPLIES 168
Beta Member

@Trueaura sorry still not seeing it. If you have any insight on how we use..a resource or something, please share with the class 🙂 Thanks

Message 64 of 169

I see a lot of questions and requests for this, some dating back to a year old and answers being 'we're looking into this'.

Any update on if and when this might happen? Crazy how we can't use it on our sites yet when it's such a popular payment method.

Message 65 of 169
Admin

@thecandygraze,

Thanks for adding your voice! I've moved your post into our existing feature request for AfterPay support so we can track all feedback in the one place.

While I unfortunately don't have any updates to share here, I'll continue to share community feedback about the demand for AfterPay and do my best to advocate for the features our sellers are requesting via the community.

If this changes I'll be sure to update this thread.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 66 of 169

Square should do their own BNPL.. but if that is what you're doing please hurry up lol

Message 67 of 169

I am seriously considering moving to shopify. I can’t believe Afterpay or zip pay is not an option! I knew this square site was too good to be true! Very disappointed!

Message 68 of 169
Beta Member

I’ve noticed that many online stores in our market offer payment plan options at checkout, with services like Afterpay or similar. 

Is that something Square will offer in the future? 

I hope so!

Thank you 

Message 69 of 169
Alumni

It's certainly a request being tracked on this thread I moved you to. When we learn something new about its availability, we'll update everyone posted on this thread.

@kwestport

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Message 70 of 169

Seamus

Can I ask why square are resisting these intergrations etc 

Message 71 of 169

what about applepay and google pay? also not available on square online in australia... no paypal, noafterpay, no applepay, no googlepay, no crypto payments..  no customers

Message 72 of 169
Beta Member

Hi I am joining to conversation, I am a jewelry provider and I do have a lot of my customers requesting to buy now and pay later. I do know I could use invoicing but that is labor intensive to set up and to manage. Is there any development on giving us the ability thru paypal, klarma, affirm, etc or even is there something that square can build that would give us the ability to collect a payment upfront and then allow them to pay over time.

Message 73 of 169
Admin

No developments here unfortunately @LOLj - this will be the first place I'll update if I hear of any!

I'll continue to pass on feedback about the demand we're seeing to the teams that build Square Online, as well as highlight specific feedback coming from Square Sellers.

At the moment I've not heard of any plans we have to build Afterpay support into the Square Online platform. Sorry I'm not able to bring better news here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 74 of 169

Seamus

Do They realise Sellers are ready to walk or dont they care, because it seems to me they dont care if they loose sellers and get bad reviews etc for not allowing bnpl options 

Message 75 of 169
Beta Member

I am located in the USA not in Australia yes please advocate and continue to share

Thank you

Message 76 of 169

Honestly, I jumped to Ecwid months ago purely because of this issue, and I am so glad I did.  Everything runs so beautifully, lots of options and buy-now-pay-later as a standard feature.  It’s a no brainer for anyone in retail and Square is losing customers hand over fist because of this, but just don’t seem to care.

Do yourself a favour and just give up.  They clearly don’t give a **bleep** about their customers, so why should we give a **bleep** about loyalty?

Message 77 of 169

@Seamus  I read elsewhere that Square is tracking the popularity of customers wanting to utilise Afterpay on their websites, can you point us in the right direction to be able to add our voice to that request.  There seems to be a LOT of people asking for this!

Message 78 of 169
Admin

Hey @SMACREATIONS,

Thanks for your message.

I've moved your post to the thread in question for tracking purposes. Afterpay integration for Square Online is indeed a very popular feature request!

Unfortunately I've not heard anything to indicate it will be coming in the future, however I acknowledge the popularity of Afterpay as a feature request and will continue to advocate for it internally and report on the demand we're seeing via our Australian Seller Community.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 79 of 169

Hi Seamus

Could you get a response from the product team if they are looking at it, and if not why not, so business  can make an informed decision to stay or not. Because I can see if Square does not come out and say something  they may find sellers leaving in droves and going to other ecommerce sites that allow bnpl, are they allowing the afterpay card?

Message 80 of 169

I honestly didn't realise how big an issue this is since I made my site. I do regret using square now because customers have no options for payment except a credit card. Extra fees for paypal, no apple or google pay, no bnpl, no crypto and nothing else at all. Be careful if you bother making your site on square because you will want to move it to something that accepts different payments soon enough.

Message 81 of 169
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT 01/01/2022: Afterpay is now available with Square Online! We'll continue to work on integrating Afterpay across Square's product ecosystem, availability with Square Online is just the start 🙂

EDIT 02/08/2021: Square has just announced plans to acquire Afterpay. While we don't have integration timelines to share at the moment, read our update for more!

--------

@jhughe @Handpoked I totally understand the frustration here - having read and responded to dozens of comments such as yours over a long period of time, I'm aware of the impact that a lack of Afterpay support has on Square Online sellers who value having it as a payment method.

You won't currently find a bigger internal advocate for Afterpay support at Square than myself, and the feedback and comments we see on our Seller Community are something I regularly pass on to internal teams.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 82 of 169
Beta Member

I just wanted to add something here which I am not sure if it has been mentioned. Both ZipPay and Afterpay offer a card (via Visa and MasterCard respectively) which can be linked to ApplePay and used as any other 'real' credit/debit card, which means that in person payments are possible using either of these BNPL platforms when a customer has set up their BNPL cards and pay using ApplePay (contactless). The current limitation however is Square online doesn't currently work with ApplePay meaning BNPL is not possible for any website purchases. Can I recommend that Square implement ApplePay as a checkout/payment option in Australia (I believe it already is implemented in the US version of square?) as a work around for the BNPL integration. 

I use iPhone so can only speak to this specifically so unsure of google/android pay compatibility. 

Message 83 of 169
Admin

Hey @CakesbyDrew,

This is definitely a logical line of thought, and it's something I've looked into as well.

Because these are 100% virtual cards and not physical cards, unfortunately it doesn't look doable from a card-not-present perspective (eg online, over the phone payments) due to the way Apple/Google Pay tech works with dynamic security codes.

For in person transactions with a physical card reader and NFC, things start to look a little more promising. My initial thoughts were that these cards may just work like any ordinary Visa or Mastercard - unfortunately this is not the case either, and by default these transactions will decline. With that said, I am hoping to hear more soon about a possible solution for in person payments with Afterpay Mastercard. I don't have any concrete info on this at the moment, but this will be the place I share news of any developments in the future.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 84 of 169