x

How to add to automatically calculate card fee an invoice

Hi Square team.

I have been using Square in the Xero program.

I am wondering if a credit card fee can be automatically added to an invoice when an invoice is paid by a credit card.

It is because credit card charge is currently not attracted to an invoice although payment is made by a credit card.

I have an example image, unfortunately I wasn't able to attach that.

I looking forward to receiving your advice.

Thanks a lot! 

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Wiseexpress,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It’s not possible for Square to automatically apply a card surcharge to your sales at the moment. If you would like to pass on credit card processing charges to your customers, you can use the following to calculate what you would charge.

For transactions put through a Square Reader at 1.9%:

Transaction amount divided by 0.981

e.g. $100 / 0.981 = $101.94 - you'd add $1.94 as a 1.9% surcharge.

For “Card not Present” transactions at 2.2%:

Transaction amount divided by 0.978

E.g. $100 / 0.978 = $102.25 - you'd add $2.25 as a 2.2% surcharge.

Why Wouldn’t I Just Add 1.9% or 2.2%?

Square’s card processing fees are based on the overall transaction amount, so if you’re adding $1.90 to a $100 transaction, the transaction becomes $101.90, not $100. Using the above formulas accounts for this small change to the overall fee on transactions if you’re adding a surcharge

For invoices you'd want to use the 2.2% rate. Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Wiseexpress,

Thanks for getting in touch!

It’s not possible for Square to automatically apply a card surcharge to your sales at the moment. If you would like to pass on credit card processing charges to your customers, you can use the following to calculate what you would charge.

For transactions put through a Square Reader at 1.9%:

Transaction amount divided by 0.981

e.g. $100 / 0.981 = $101.94 - you'd add $1.94 as a 1.9% surcharge.

For “Card not Present” transactions at 2.2%:

Transaction amount divided by 0.978

E.g. $100 / 0.978 = $102.25 - you'd add $2.25 as a 2.2% surcharge.

Why Wouldn’t I Just Add 1.9% or 2.2%?

Square’s card processing fees are based on the overall transaction amount, so if you’re adding $1.90 to a $100 transaction, the transaction becomes $101.90, not $100. Using the above formulas accounts for this small change to the overall fee on transactions if you’re adding a surcharge

For invoices you'd want to use the 2.2% rate. Please let me know if you have any questions! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 10

The information given in thus answer may be incorrect. Ive used 2.25% as a cc surcharge fee within square, and lost. The figure is cliser to 2.5% (Im now using 2.55%). My guess is the lower (2.25%) fee does not account for the added gst.

Geez, it'd be really nice if square could have our back with this siht and make it easier to recoup these fees...

Message 3 of 10

Is Square looking to add the credit card surcharge feature anytime soon?

Message 4 of 10

Hi Seamus 

Has there been an update since this message was sent? 

Thanks

Andre

Message 5 of 10

totally agree with luvo Square need to simply add the option to pass on the cost of car fees, Seriously how hard is it ???

That said one option is to add it through the tax option maybe ???

Message 6 of 10

You cant manually add the surcharge when invoice is generated in XERO.

Whenintegrated with square it just lets customer pay online without adding surcharge. This should really get looked at.

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Finbar282,

Thanks for writing in, welcome to our community!

Just to clarify, is this for invoices created in Xero? 

Message 8 of 10

Correct, when integrated and invoice is sent. Customers can pay invoice via square portal but with no way of adding surcharge

Message 9 of 10

this is such a messy process and so difficult to reconcile my banking EVERY MONTH.. and to make it even worse, Square gets the benefit of the compounding effect on me charging the customer for using a credit card for payment.  So to achieve a "neutral" impact of a 2.2% charge, i have to charge the customer ~2.5%.  NOt fit for purpose 😞

Message 10 of 10