x

How to automatically modify customer record based on purchase history

Hello,

We are new to Square.  We are a small rural not-for-profit community centre that provides, amongst other things, internet, photocopying, printing, room hire, etc.  We also offer annual memberships, which entitles members to discounts on items. 

We have created a recurring invoice for new memberships so that in future years the member is automatically reminded to pay their membership.  When customers use our services we enquire whether they are a member and pull up their record on our POS.  But we seem to have no obvious/easy way to check that their membership is current.  Is there a way to (for example) to have a "current member" field or toggle adjusted automatically in the customer record if the customer has paid a membership invoice in the previous 12 months? The logic would be if customer has paid an invoice under our membership category in the last 12 months then the toggle would be "yes".  But if they chose not to renew their membership and let is lapse, then that toggle would say "no".  We've looked at subscriptions and plans, but this doesn't seem to resolve our query.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @DenmarkCRC welcome to the Seller Community and to Square, we're happy to have you!

This is a really great idea and while we don't currently have a feature that supports this, I have a few ideas that may help. 

Are you familiar with the Customer Directory in Dashboard? When you select a customer's profile from the directory, it loads information categories such as Personal Details, Notes, and Files, and it also loads an Invoices category. You will be able to view all past and current invoices associated with an individual customer with a single click, allowing you to see when they last paid. See the below screenshot for how this will look on the Dashboard. You can also access this information from your app.

Following this suggestion, you could try adding a Note to the customer profile with the date they activated their membership or the expiry date, so you're able to quickly reference this when loading their details to a sale. 

Let me know if these suggestions help!

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Thanks @Laurie_ 

Yes, familiar with customer directory via Dashboard, but the front of house staff only have access to the POS so need to be able to quickly ascertain whether the customer is a fully paid member.  Going into invoices and searching for membership invoices previously paid is not realistic.  We've already created a custom "Date Joined" field in each record.  Since there is no automatic way of doing this, I guess we will have to look at all invoices paid under our "membership" category and then manually change this date in their customer record.  Not ideal, but workable.

Thanks

DenmarkCRC.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for clarifying, @DenmarkCRC!

To confirm you can access the Customer Directory on your POS as well to view the same information by navigating to More > Customers. Additionally, once you've added your customer to a transaction you can click on their name in the transaction to quickly view Notes and Invoices, so there's no need to navigate away from the Checkout page.

What POS software are you using on your device (e.g. Square Point of Sale, Square Appointments, Square for Retail, Square for Restaurants)?

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4