x

How to create a modifier with a variable price or change variation price at checkout.

Good Morning All,

I would like to thank you in advance for any assistance you are able to provide.

We are a mobile phone repair shop and we want to be able to select multiple variations or in the alternative have modifiers with variable prices to allow us to change the price during the checkout window without having as a variable price

Example #1

Item - iPhone 8 Repair

Modifier 1 - Screen Replacement $149

Modifier 2 - Screen Replacement $Variable

Modifier 3 - Charging Port Replacement $79

Modifier 4 - Charging Port Replacement $Variable

Modifier 5 - Home Button Replacement $39

Modifier 6 - Home Button Replacement $Variable

OR

Example #2

Item - iPhone 8 Repair

Variation 1 - Screen Replacement $149

Variation 2 - Screen Replacement $Variable

Variation 3 - Charging Port Replacement $79

Variation 4 - Charging Port Replacement $Variable

Variation 5 - Home Button Replacement $39

Variation 6 - Home Button Replacement $Variable

With the ability to select more than one Variation.

We would appreciate any help you can provide, of course we would not have this issue if Square supported nested categories or subcategories. But hey were all works in progress, right?

Message 1 of 7
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @1StopPhoneShop,

Thanks for your message! 

While variably priced modifiers are not a feature of Square Point of Sale, you can select multiple modifiers of set value for each sale.

It may be more helpful to create more variations for your iPhone 8 Repair item (these can be left as a variable price) rather than going for modifiers if the variable price feature is one that you need to use often. As you mentioned, multiple variations cannot be added to the checkout simultaneously, so you will need to add each of these variations individually to each sale. 

We appreciate your feedback regarding this feature request, the team is always working on improving our product! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @1StopPhoneShop,

Thanks for your message! 

While variably priced modifiers are not a feature of Square Point of Sale, you can select multiple modifiers of set value for each sale.

It may be more helpful to create more variations for your iPhone 8 Repair item (these can be left as a variable price) rather than going for modifiers if the variable price feature is one that you need to use often. As you mentioned, multiple variations cannot be added to the checkout simultaneously, so you will need to add each of these variations individually to each sale. 

We appreciate your feedback regarding this feature request, the team is always working on improving our product! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 7

The amount of basic PoS features missing in systems like square is shocking.

The more I use square, the more I come to understand how much of an improvised system it really is. Coming from a sales background using systems like Clickpos and Retail Express, it is obvious, perhaps painfully so that the Square PoS is really only a barebones system to package with the merchant services Square provide.

In truth Square is not a PoS system so much as a merchant services provider which tries to provide the customer with some form of PoS. The System is at times surprising with its features but by in large very haphazard as if you are trying to appeal to everyone in business without any real understanding of their needs. Dissapointing but not unexpected...

It just makes me wonder how many on the development team have actually ever used a PoS system and far more importantly how many have had to setup a New PoS system for an existing business. The lack of the most basic features of a traditional PoS and the inclusion of advanced features very few people need, reaks to me of a group of programmers and designers who have never used a PoS system in a retail environment before and simply researched the subject during the preliminary development phase.

Well thats my rant done for the day. Despite three paragraphs of evidence to the contrary, I have by in large enjoyed using sqaure and will continue to use square in the future.

Thank You

Message 3 of 7
Beta Member

Absolutely agree with your sentiment @1StopPhoneShop 

We've also tried and tried to have our feedback and voices heard on much needed features. 

Here's hoping the team can step up and bring much needed features (and thereby the whole platform/offering) to the fore.

Message 4 of 7
Beta Member

With the variation how can customer able to select multiple items? As mine only allows customer to select 1 from the 4 variations i have. Please help 

Thank you

Message 5 of 7
Admin

Hey @Eyelash,

Thanks for your message!

Variations are intended to be different varieties of the same item that can't be two things at once - eg a t-shirt might be Small, Medium or Large, but the t-shirt can't be more than one of those things at the same time.

If a customer is buying multiple varieties of the same item, you'd just add the item to the transaction again, selecting the different variety the next time!

One thing you may want to check out are modifiers, which can be set to add more than one of something to an item. For example, you could have an item called "Burger" and then set multiple modifiers like 'Add Cheese', "Add patty", "Extra Pickles" or "No Pickles". You can set different prices for modifiers or have them available at no cost.

Hopefully this helps, please let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 7

I cannot get the modifiers to show to the customer when booking. 

Message 7 of 7