x

I want to connect a printer and cash drawer,I have a cellular iPad Pro 12.9, so can’t use a stand

1. I want to connect a printer and cash drawer to an iPad Pro 12.9 so the stand is not an option, we don’t have a router as we run off the iPad is it possible to connect with a USB/lightning cable ? Or is there another work around thanks
Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Funindabun,

At the moment the only USB printer solution for Apple devices is via Stand, and the way Wifi printers work is that the iPad needs to be sharing a Wifi internet connection via the same modem the printer is plugged into.

You could try connecting an internet-less modem/router to the iPad, but then the iPad wouldn't have internet connectivity so you wouldn't be able to take card payments and communicate with Square's servers to record your sales to the cloud.

As I understand it, the way iOS internet connectivity works is that you can connect either via Wifi or 4G, but not both at the same time - so as soon as soon as you connect Wifi the 4G internet connectivity will drop out regardless of whether the Wifi actually has internet capability.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Funindabun,

Thanks for reaching out!

Based on your operating environment, your best bet here is is a Bluetooth printer. You can view a list of iOS compatible printers to check which models will work with Square POS.

Specifically, the Star Micronics TSP654IIBi and TSP143IIBi will allow for a cash drawer to be connected 👍

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 6

Thanks Sheamus, I have a (price) preference for USB. I see that Apple has a lightning/USB cord that handles charging and data, any ideas on how this would go with a USB printer ?

Message 3 of 6

Failing that, would it be possible to just use a router without internet connection to connect the printer ?

Message 4 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Funindabun,

At the moment the only USB printer solution for Apple devices is via Stand, and the way Wifi printers work is that the iPad needs to be sharing a Wifi internet connection via the same modem the printer is plugged into.

You could try connecting an internet-less modem/router to the iPad, but then the iPad wouldn't have internet connectivity so you wouldn't be able to take card payments and communicate with Square's servers to record your sales to the cloud.

As I understand it, the way iOS internet connectivity works is that you can connect either via Wifi or 4G, but not both at the same time - so as soon as soon as you connect Wifi the 4G internet connectivity will drop out regardless of whether the Wifi actually has internet capability.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help here!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 6

Use Square Terminal when it becomes available in Australia ....

Message 6 of 6