x

Importing items - modifiers and tax headers cause issues

I wanted to change the business associated with my Square account. The only way to to that was to create a new Square account with the new ABN. I exported the items from the first account and tried to import them into the second account. I followed the instructions to remove all token values (but not the header or column) and and to change any locationโ€“specific names.

"The first issue was the message "Import file contains a column header mapping to a modifier named โ€˜Modifiersโ€™, which cannot be found."

Square inserted these columns in the output, it surprised me that it is unable to import them. The answer to this issue as found in the article Transfer Items Between Square Accounts under the heading "Prepare the new account". So I added the modifiers to the new account exactly as in the old account.

I also created a GST tax, then tried importing again only to get the message:  

"The tax header (Tax - GST (10%)) in column N contains unexpected characters"

I have no idea what characters Square is complaining about, the import file was generated by Square yet it seems it can't read its own file. I have tried modifying the column header to "Tax - GST" and "Tax - GST 10%" but get the same message each time.

Can someone please tell me:

1. How do I export the file in a way that is compatible with importing back into Square?
  2. How do I fix the file I want to import so that Square will import it? I really don't want to reโ€“enter the entire catalogue

The import utility should have an option for "import from different account"  so that all these issues are dealt with automatically.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @RobXG,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble importing your item inventory into a new account. 

I'll be the first to agree that the import / export tool is not as user friendly as would be ideal. I do recommend getting in touch with our support team for this one - they'll be able to look into your account and see how you've got things set up and provide advice specific to your inventory / spreadsheet files. They may even be able to edit and try uploading your spreadsheet upon request.

You can either call on 1800 760 137 or email via this link.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2