x

Is the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 N5110 compatible with Square?

If the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 N5110 is not compatible with Sqaure, why does the Play Store allow app installaton. Any good developer will have the software check compatibilty with the hardware before allowing the customer to install.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @Vlakvark, and welcome to the community!

You're right in saying that as per our compatibility website, the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 devices aren't compatible with our contactless and chip card reader, but they are compatible with our $19 chip card reader, which is used by connecting it to the headphone jack on your Note 8.

Whilst we can't guarantee hardware compatibility with every Android device, our engineers work hard to enable support for our Square point of sale app to run on as many devices as possible, so that sellers are able to transact payments via keying in the credit card number manually. Whilst this does attract a slightly higher rate of 2.2% per transaction, it means you're still able to take payments on the go despite your hardware not supporting our readers.

We're working hard to support as many Android devices as possible, but as it stands now you'll only be able to use the chip card reader to take card payments. Thanks for your understanding!

Message 2 of 4

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Chip Card Reader and it too doesn't work. How was this device tested for compatibilty? I can connect to our Square account but trying to manage a payment, the feedback is in RED "Unable to obtain a secure connection" so we can't even do manual transactions. Any advice to get this working woul;d be appreciated. 

Message 3 of 4

You say you are working hard to ensure compatibility, but haven't updated the list in a year and a half. It basically means no phone or tablet from 2017 or 2018 works unless you want to gamble. Toss in the fact that you changed it recently so that only Android 6.0 or higher can be used, which rules out all the ilder tablets, it means there are almost NO compatible options. If I wasn't already using square, I certainly wouldn't start. Not with there being almost no android options. Time to work harder. No updates on the list for over a year is unnacceptable. 

Message 4 of 4