x

Multiple ipads with one receipt printer and cash drawer

I apologise if this has been posted somewhere else. I have searched but couldn't find an answer. I am wanting advice on the best way to setup for our local soccer club's canteen. We want to have one cash drawer and receipt printer but the ability to have these linked to two ipads that have a square reader each.

We don't have ethernet capabilities. At the moment, we have a wifi connection that all devices can log into or hotspot to the 4g connection on the ipad. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated as to what would be the easiest and best way around this.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hi @ccsc1,

Thanks for getting in touch - I'll need a little more info for this one before I can give you the best possible solution!

1) When you say you have a wifi connection - is this via a portable wifi unit (eg with a sim card in it) or is it via a modem router plugged into a socket on the wall?

2) Do you already have iPads, and if so what models are they?

3) Were you planning on using the iPads with Square Stand or without?

4) What make and model printer do you already have? Is this a wifi/USB/bluetooth printer?

5) Does the existing cash brawer connect via the printer?

Let me know and I'll be able to make a few more suggestions ๐Ÿ‘

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Hi @Seamus 

Sorry for the lack of information. Answers below for you. We are yet to purchase most of the hardware - hence all my questions. At the moment the only things we do have are the square reader and and ipad mini4.

1) It's a portable wifi unit (eg with a sim card in it) 

2) Do you already have iPads, and if so what models are they? 1 x ipad mini4 and yet to purchase a second one. 

3) Were you planning on using the iPads with Square Stand or without? Not sure yet - we have one ipad but waiting on which solution we choose before we make the decision on whether we use SquareStand or not.

4) and 5) Don't have a printer or cash drawer - we have to buy these when we decide on which solution we go - (hence all the questions)  Another question is do we actually have to have a printer connected. Can we have the ipads connect directly to a cash drawer?

Thanks again for your help ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Thanks @ccsc1,

What you're trying to achieve here - two iPads connected to a single printer/cash drawer - could be done with this Wifi printer. As long as the two iPads are both connected to the same wifi network as the printer, you can set up the same printer as a printer station on both iPads via Square's app. You could then plug the cash drawer into that printer. 

This is the only printer we have available that will connect to two iPads without needing to be plugged into a modem via an ethernet cable.

Keep in mind that if you are using a single cash drawer to take payments via two iPads, you will still need to track different cash drawer session on each iPad - so your total cash takings in the physical drawer should amount to the cash drawer session on iPad 1 + cash drawer session on iPad 2.

If you're looking at Square Stand, keep in mind that you will need a compatible 9.7" iPad with a lightning bolt connector - unfortunately iPad Mini won't fit the Stand. Let me know if you have any more questions or feel free to call our support team on 1800 760 137 if you'd like to speak with a support agent! Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 6

Hi, Some Epson printers dont need ethernet and can be connected to a cash drawer without ethernet cable attached, the USB version works fine from what i have used (but i have used it with a stand and usb hub attached to it)  far cheaper than the $700 star printer. or am i on the wrong track ?

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @parky,

Yep, if you're looking at connecting a single printer to a single iPad/Stand setup this Epson USB Printer for $269 will do the trick!

Back in January the only printer we had available to connect a printer to two iPads was the Star Micronics one linked above - however this has now changed as well. If you're able to connect a printer to a Wifi modem via Ethernet cable, the Ethernet version of the same Epson printer will also do the trick ๐Ÿ‘

We also stock an Epson printer than can switch between USB and Ethernet for $469.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 6