x

Printer Fallback

I was wondering if there is a provision for the printers to act as fallbacks for each other? We have one in the kitchen and one in the bar and need to have the kitchen orders fall back to the bar printer in case the kitchen printer is offline. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey Picard359,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the community!

What type of printers are you currently using? You can connect a printer to multiple devices using Square provided that the printer is connecting to the device via Wifi, though it won't be doable on Bluetooth or USB printers.

If you are using Wifi printers, you can simply set up each printer as a printer station on each device as per this help article. Once you've set up each printer station, you can turn it on/off on each device as needed.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions 👍

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hi Sheamus,

We use a TM-U220B as a kitchen printer and a TM-82II as a the Bar/Till Printer. These are both set up as network devices. Both have been setup as Printer Stations on the Square App on the iPad.

My query was regarding a scenario where the Kitchen printer is disconnected due to a power/network failure. Is there an option to make the Bar/Till Printer a fallback printer in such a case, printing any dockets that were to print on the Kitchen printer.

It makes the people putting the order in aware that the Kitchen has NOT received that order and action can be taken accordingly. 

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey again @Picard359,

There's unfortunately no way that your bar printer can automatically print tickets that were due to go to the kitchen printer, in the event of a power failure.

You can however:

1) Edit the bar printer station to print all dockets by default, including duplicate order tickets that are already going to the kitchen printer. You'd be using more receipt paper but this would be a fail safe in the scenario you're describing.

2) If the power failed you'd need to manually turn on printing order stubs to the bar printer - it's possible to reprint order tickets that may not have gone through to the kitchen as per https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Can-you-reprint-an-order-ticket/td-p/8240

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4