x
Beta Member

Reader won’t pair. Update required

Hi I have an iPad air 4th generation. When I pair a contactless & chip reader, it says update requires. Please update Point of Sale.

Both the device & the Square App are updated

Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @VikBingley and @cam_inc,

I can confirm this is definitely an issue with the 14.5 iOS Beta. The issue will be resolved once iOS14.5 goes live, however for now in order to continue using Square reader you'd unfortunately need to roll back to the public 14.4 release!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 26
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi, Arie. I eventually got the reader paired properly by following these instructions I found elsewhere:

1. Ensure that the Square application has permission to access location services "Always" or "When using" > under device Settings > scroll down on left side to Square > Location
2. Make sure Bluetooth is toggled off for any device that has connected to the reader in the past.

Once that's done run through these steps in this order:

1. In the Square Point of Sale App go to Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > Forget all card readers
2. Force-quit Point of Sale App
3. Open Device settings
4. Navigate to Bluetooth
5. Forget all Square Readers
6. Hold the button on the Reader until the lights flash red
7. Reboot the Device
8. Re-launch Point of Sale app, wait about 1 minute, and re-pair the Reader

And all is well, we can take payments again!

View Best Answer >

Message 21 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Beta Member

I have this problem too - my iPad and iPhone are running ios beta versions. My old iPhone is running the latest public non-beta version and it can connect ok. 

Message 2 of 26
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @VikBingley and @cam_inc,

I can confirm this is definitely an issue with the 14.5 iOS Beta. The issue will be resolved once iOS14.5 goes live, however for now in order to continue using Square reader you'd unfortunately need to roll back to the public 14.4 release!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 3 of 26
Beta Member

Thanks, Seamus - The support team sent me another reader last week because we could not get my old one working - I've opened the replacement one and had the same error and then ended up here. what should I do with it? 

Message 4 of 26
Admin

Hey @Cam-inc,

The issue here unfortunately is the iOS14.5 Beta, not the reader - you'll need to roll back to iOS 14.4 in order to use Square Readers!

You can find instructions on doing this via the Apple website.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 26

I just updated my iPad to iOS15 and am facing this same issue? Square app has been updated also but reader displays “update required. Please update Point of Sale”.

Message 6 of 26

Same here. Updated my iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 15 and have that exact same message. I really hope they fix this soon.

iOS 15 was officially released a few days ago, not a beta.

Message 7 of 26
Admin

@BearsBrows @RicardoVillacru What version of the Square app are you currently using? 5.74 should be available on the app store now and works with iOS 15!

Are you able to make sure the Square app is up to date and try again? Let me know how you go 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 26

Yep the update was available last night after work so all good today haha

Message 9 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Glad to hear it's working for you now, @Backyardpizza @RicardoVillacru! Please let us know if you have any further questions, or issues 👍

Message 10 of 26

Hi Seamus

How do you check the Square version?

Message 11 of 26
Admin

@Ian42 in the POS app, go to More > Support > About and it will let you know what version of the app you're using 🙂

Or if you're using an older version of the app, click on the menu button (three horizontal lines) then Support > About.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 26
Beta Member

I just restarted my device and the update was available. Previously it was showing as app was running current version

Message 13 of 26

I had the same problem.  I reinstalled the square app, removed thereader from my bluetooth devices and then paired starting from bluetooth under settings.  It worked!

Message 14 of 26
Beta Member

Hi Heather! Thanks for the info, I think I did try that, but it was a while ago now and cant really remember. After a later beta iOS update, it fixed itself. 

Message 15 of 26
Beta Member

All working, had to delete the app and forget the reader in Bluetooth.  Restart my device then download app again to get the updated version.  Then reconnect the reader.  Eventually it all worked. 

Message 16 of 26

Same problem!!!! V5.75 not working for me running iOS 15.0.1 on iPhone 13

Message 17 of 26

Hi @Aikon,

Sorry to hear about the trouble here! Have you had a chance to delete, and reinstall the Square app yet? 

Message 18 of 26
Beta Member

I had this problem after updating one iPad to IOS15. Having read this thread, I uninstalled Square POS, re-installed and all was fine. Now, another iPad has updated to IOS15.1 and, sure enough, I'm being asked to update the Point of Sale. So, as before, I did but this time, the problem persists. I'm now unable to take payments on the IOS15.1 iPad which is running POS v5.79.

Anyone got any suggestions or help?

Message 19 of 26

Hey @petersmith,

Thanks for getting back in touch, and already going through these steps. When you have a moment, please give resetting your Square Reader before pairing it to your iPad again. Here's how:

1. Hold the button on the bottom of the reader for 15 seconds.
  2. When you see 4 red lights, release the button.
  3. Tap on the button one time to get green lights.

Please let us know how you go! 

Message 20 of 26
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hi, Arie. I eventually got the reader paired properly by following these instructions I found elsewhere:

1. Ensure that the Square application has permission to access location services "Always" or "When using" > under device Settings > scroll down on left side to Square > Location
2. Make sure Bluetooth is toggled off for any device that has connected to the reader in the past.

Once that's done run through these steps in this order:

1. In the Square Point of Sale App go to Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > Forget all card readers
2. Force-quit Point of Sale App
3. Open Device settings
4. Navigate to Bluetooth
5. Forget all Square Readers
6. Hold the button on the Reader until the lights flash red
7. Reboot the Device
8. Re-launch Point of Sale app, wait about 1 minute, and re-pair the Reader

And all is well, we can take payments again!

Message 21 of 26