x

Sales Tax (GST) how to apportion to payment methods

Australia question - We have a Cafe and different products tht we sell are sales tax (GST) applicable and some are not. For example a cup of coffee has sales tax, a bag of beans does not.

At our Point of Sale counter, we take two forms of payment:  cash payments and card EFTPOS payments. 

The daily report Summary section provides me with info on my days takings, it shows my Net sales, tax, and gross sales along with seperate totals for the Cash and Card sales types.

For example, on Monday I take $550 in total,  My report shows that I have totals of  $504.54 net  $45.46 tax and total collected of $550

The daily report also gives me the Category Sales section, from which I am able to determine which categorys attract the sales tax , for example I see sales of $50 for 'Retail Beans'  and $500 of sales for 'coffee' .

So, I know I have sold beans and cups of coffee and have totals for each, I also know I took $550 in total, I also see how much was paid for in cash and card.

HOWEVER, what I cannot see is payment types per category.. I do not know how much tax to apportion to cash or card types - of the $50 of bean sales, how much was paid for in cash, how much by card??

this is important to me when allocating to my bank accounts in my accounting software, can anyone assist? Is there a report I can build that will give me this split?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @Rebcatpermatt,

Thanks for getting in touch.

What you're looking for is the Taxes section of your online dashboard reporting. Once you've selected the timeframe and location you want to look at, you'll want to filter by payment method.

A drop down box that says "All Payment Methods" will appear. Click on this to filter by cash/card/other and see tax amounts for different payment types.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Thank you Sheamus, I really appreciate your help -  that would show the tax per each payment type but not per category, which I really also need, I have a custom report now which gives me category sales by payment type - this shows the tax component, this seems to do the trick , along with your assistance I think I'm sorted.  

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
Admin

No worries @Rebcatpermatt, glad you were able to get things sorted in the end!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4