x

Why does the Square app say my device is rooted ?

Device is up to date, as is Square app. But will not connect saying device is rooted; it isnt. Help!

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Kp123,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your reader.

You're actually going to need to get in touch with our support team on 1800 531 738 for further assistance with this. Generally speaking, a mobile device will give you a "Rooted Device" error either if the device is rooted or Square is otherwise detecting a non-secure enough operating environment for card payment processing.

Occasionally there can be issues connecting otherwise supported devices to Square due to the nature of the Android install on the device or the presence of any apps that have altered the Android OS in such a way that it no longer meets our security requirements for processing payments on Android.

One thing you can check is to see if there are any pending security updates available to the OS.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Kp123,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble connecting your reader.

You're actually going to need to get in touch with our support team on 1800 531 738 for further assistance with this. Generally speaking, a mobile device will give you a "Rooted Device" error either if the device is rooted or Square is otherwise detecting a non-secure enough operating environment for card payment processing.

Occasionally there can be issues connecting otherwise supported devices to Square due to the nature of the Android install on the device or the presence of any apps that have altered the Android OS in such a way that it no longer meets our security requirements for processing payments on Android.

One thing you can check is to see if there are any pending security updates available to the OS.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 9

I have an Android Oppo R15Pro and I am trying to connect to a Square reader.  I am getting a message that my device is rooted.  I have turned off developer options and restarted the phone.  I briefly had a connection and now it is saying Reader unavailable: secure session denial.  I checked your device compatibility page but an R15Pro is not listed.  Oppo uses a version of Android called ColorOS and I have version V7.1.  Could you please advise if my phone is compatible and if it is, what can I do to troubleshoot my connection.  I called your 1800 support number got got nowhere because I don't have a customer code.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

@Jock I can confirm that most Oppo phones won't work with Square Readers, and this is expected behaviour for non-compatible Oppo devices.

For a little more context, Oppo phones tend not to work because ColorOS - a heavily modified version of the Android operating system - doesn't tend to meet our minimum device security requirements to process card payments and utilise "PIN on Glass" technology to securely process physical card payments on a mobile device. Square will often detect ColorOS as a "rooted device" - you can read more about what this means here.

Sorry we couldn't be of more help You can view a list of devices tested as compatible with Square to check what devices we have tested as compatible. 

Note that if you do ever need to cal support, lines are open to the public without a code 9am-5pm AEST, Mon-Fri.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 9

Hi Seamus,  Thanks for your reply, very informative, now I can stop trying to make it work.  Sounds like a good excuse for a new phone.  All the best Jock

Message 5 of 9
Admin

No worries @Jock!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 9

How do I fix my square from not connecting to my phone. It says device is rooted please remove rooted device 

Message 7 of 9
Admin

Hey @Kjhsurf,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your reader connected.

I've moved your message to this thread, if Square is saying the device is "Rooted" it generally means the operating environment of the Android device is conflicting with our security requirements for using the device as a card processing terminal.

What make/model is the device?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 9

I have a Galaxy Fold 5 which also gives the "rooted" fault but nothing seems to solve this.

Could it be Norton's ??

Message 9 of 9