x

Setting up Square POS without Square Stand

I am setting up our first POS for our new shop. Am setting up iPad on Studio Proper Swivel stand to achieve a sleek look.

Issue: How do I get around making other hardware work with square. Have found that if you do not use Square stand it becomes very difficult to connect a printer etc. to your system. I already have a Epson TM-T20 Thermal printer but Square App wouldn't pick it up when I connected it to USB port off iPad (https://www.apple.com/au/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37). I took my same printer to a friend's shop who is using Square stand and it immediately picked it up (I plugged in my iPad to his stand, to eliminate any iPad or my current iOS issues). Called support and was informed that USB printers will only work when connected through Square USB. I then ordered a Square Replacement Accessory Kit (https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/au/en/products/square-stand-power-adapter-usb-au) thinking I could connect it to my iPad and then USB printer would work.

The replacement kit (to much frustration) terminates in a Micro USB and not a lighting connector (which amazes me since Square's whole model is based on Apple products only). I then went and got a Micro USB to Lighting cable adapter, connected it and it still doesn't works. I am seriously at my wits' end. I like what Square has to offer but am finding it limits how people want to use it in their business.

Am I doing something wrong, have I not tried something that is out there. Any help would be welcome.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hey @abzorbaloff,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Square's Stand replacement hub will only work in conjunction with the actual Stand itself. It's unfortunately not intended to be used as a separate accessory, won't operate independently and is sold as a replacement part for Stand. Apologies if there was any confusion about the intended functionality of this kit - If you give our team a call on 1800 760 137 you can arrange a return and refund.

What you're trying to achieve here will only be possible with a Square Stand - if you want to check which printers will work with which Square devices please check our hardware compatibility list.

Based on what you've mentioned of your setup, I recommend a compatible wifi/ethernet or bluetooth printer.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

Thanks @Seamus 

Message 3 of 3