x
Admin

Sports clubs, associations, not for profits - can't sign up?

Update:

Due to overwhelming demand from associations, clubs and NFPs hoping to sign up to use Square for card payments, our expected turnaround time for onboarding incorporated and unincorporated entity ABNs is now 4-6 weeks.

If you are representing an incorporated or unincorporated entity, and wish to continue with the manual onboarding process, please follow the steps below rather than disclosing any of your personal account information on the Seller Community by replying to this thread.

1. Sign up for a Square account on our website.
  2. When the “unsupported business type” message is displayed, please contact our Support team via this link. Make sure you’re logged into your Square account when contacting us - this will help us locate your account faster and avoid unnecessary delays.
  3. A member of the team will get in touch with you via email, requesting additional documentation for verification.
  4. Once they receive your reply, it’ll be forwarded to our Account Services team for review. As mentioned above, you can expect your account to be activated for card processing in around 4-6 weeks.

FAQ:

Why do I need to go through this process, and why does it take so long?

The process to be activated to accept card payments takes a little longer than usual due to additional obligations Square needs to meet to comply with Australian regulatory requirements for your ABN type. We understand that you’re wanting to get up and running with Square as soon as possible, but we are obligated to request some additional documents for and information about your organisation in order to satisfy these regulatory requirements.

Can you please expedite my onboarding request?

Unfortunately not - to keep the on-boarding process fair for everyone, we on-board organisations on a first come, first serve basis.

What if I have questions on the status of my account?

We’d ask that you don’t reply to the original email our team sends you - this might alter your review status and extend your onboarding time. Please get in touch with our team via phone or a new email case.

What sort of documents will I be asked to provide?

You’ll initially be asked to provide a copy of your last AGM meeting minutes that highlights things like the name of the organisation, the key position holders (eg President, Secretary, Treasurer or equivalent positions) and your Incorporation Number (if applicable). You’ll later be asked to upload the IDs of some of the key position holders via a secure online form. We’ll email you a link to this form as a second step of the on-boarding process.

Exactly what ABNs does Square support/not support?

ABNs we can on-board via the regular sign up process:

• Individual / Sole Trader
  • Partnerships
  • Companies
  • Trusts (approx. 1 week processing)

ABNs we can manually on-board as part of this pilot program:

• Other Incorporated Entities (approx. 4-6 weeks processing)
  • Other Unincorporated Entities (approx. 4-6 weeks processing)

ABNs we don't currently support

• Government Entities
  • Co-operatives
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
sully_vmr

Re: Sports clubs, associations, not for profits - can't sign up?

This is appalling. Why isn't this information provided by the Square promotional material? Whilst the current information contained in, "https://squareup.com/au/en/l/get-a-reader-au" delivers so much, this detail is absent. Is this a case of deception:

The prohibition on misleading conduct is set out in section 18(1) of the Australian Consumer Law: "A person must not, in trade or commerce, engage in conduct that is misleading or deceptive or is likely to mislead or deceive."?

Message 2 of 10
Admin

Hey @sully_vmr,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you had trouble signing up for Square.

It's certainly not our intention to mislead you - while we have not highlighted the specific intricacies behind on-boarding different ABN entity types on our free processing promo page, we understand that many clubs and associations are keen to use Square and we have tried to cover everything with as much detail and transparency as possible in this thread.

If you'd like to take part in the pilot program we're running, please follow the above instructions and we'll get you on board for card payments as soon as possible 🙂

Message 3 of 10
reallyneedhelp

Hi Sully

did you find a good alternative to Square - such a shame they are so forward in the marketing, and so backward in the fineprint.

Thanks

Message 4 of 10
TripleMCakes

My local P & C Assn signed up to square recently. The team were a great help with the whole set up process.

We raise an extra $500 using the square tap that we would not have done so without a card facility.

It will continue to grow from strength to strength.

Bring on the next election BBQ!☺

Thank you Square❤

Message 5 of 10
QLDShakespeare

It has taken 48 hours of being stuck activation loop and several attempts to try and find this kind of information - this should be made known WHEN YOU SIGN UP. Like a giant side note once you input the ABN to say "hey, it looks like you're an Incorporated Association - we will need additional information from you in order to be able to fully activate your account and it can take up to 4-6 weeks FYI". Not desperately trying to make something work THE NIGHT BEFORE you need the device.

There is not enough clarity in the error message:

Thank you for your interest.

We do not currently support your selected business type for payment processing. We will contact you once your business type is supported. In the meantime, Square can work as your point-of-sale solution. You can record sales, manage inventory, run powerful sales reports and analytics, send digital receipts and more.

Like...we can't use Square until the business type is supported, but we can use it? Here might be a good place to link to this particularly discussion thread if that is in fact what it is referring to.

Message 6 of 10
seashell

Agreed that a notice or pop up when we first sign up would be very helpful. It was only after several attempts to match my reader (of course on the morning that our club needed it AND on a weekend) that I thought to check the forum.

I created the account weeks before we needed to take payment and possibly would have been processed in time.

Lessoned learned the hard way.

Message 7 of 10
hrainey

Same here just wasted dsays trying to work out why it was not working.

Club was recommend to buy this product, for sporting club use.

Poor not indicating this ABN restriction.

Message 8 of 10
SharayahTai

So dissapointed that this information took me over two hours to find AFTER our account would not activate. Why is that so hard to make clear?

As so many other people have asked why is their no link to this information why is it a generic awful and down right unhelpful notice that says "We do not currently support your selected business type for payment processing."

I find it very concerning that Square obviosuly hides these details during the sign up process. Why do you make this so hard to find? I had to sign into my personal account just to find this for my work. 

Please make this information more accessible, we wouldn't have spent our small admin budget buying into this companies devices if we knew we would have so much trouble just signing up we probably wouldn't have bothered. 

This has wasted so much of our limited time and small budget. 

Such a shame. 

Message 9 of 10
vsc

Hi there.

I'm having the same problem as everyone else.  Set this up to use as our social club fundraising device because no-one has cash any more.  I can't activate it because we're a government organisation.  And I can't change the business type to try to get around this.  Such a great idea and really easy... IF YOU CAN ACCESS IT. 

I'm with everyone else - there should have been a disclaimer writ large.

Very, very disappointed.

Back to SQUARE one!

Message 10 of 10