x
Beta Member

Square Reader: device not supported

I have been using my square reader for a few months till today when connect my phone, the App says "Device Not Supported". I have tried to reset the device many times, but still have the same issue. It is very frustrating as it is for my business. Can anyone have any ideas to get this problem fixed?

Many Thanks.

SonnyScreenshot of the messageScreenshot of the message 

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hey @yslaundrette,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear you're having trouble with your reader.

Are you able to let me know what make and model phone you're using so I can check for compatibility?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 15
Beta Member

Hi,

I am using Huawei P20 pro,  Android version 10 and it has been working fine since the beginning for a few months. This incident happened suddenly. I believe that I saw an update of the reader and then the "devise not supported" came out. I even tried on another phone and the same shows.

Message 3 of 15
Beta Member

Hi Seamus,

I am using Huawei P20 pro,  Android version 10 and it has been working fine since the beginning for a few months. This incident happened suddenly. I believe that I saw an update of the reader and then the "devise not supported" came out. I even tried on another phone and the same shows.

Message 4 of 15
Admin

Hey @yslaundrette, apologies for the delay getting back to you, I've been out of office until now.

If you're receiving this message on what should otherwise be a compatible Android device (the P20 Pro is tested as compatible) then there's likely an app or setting on the phone that is conflicting with Square being able to form a secure connection to the device to use it to take card payment.

One thing we suggest is turning off Hisuite on your Huawei device.

1. Go to Settings on your device.
  2. Tap on More Settings
  3. Disable the button โ€˜Allow Hisuite to use HDBโ€™.

If this doesn't work I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team for further assistance. You can call on 1800 760 137. Lines are open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 15
Admin

Hey @RyanR,

Unfortunately I don't have any further advice, other than to say it sounds like something on the phone is conflicting with Square's security protocols for using the phone as a card payment processing device.

A factory reset is generally advised because we test for compatibility on non modified devices fresh out of the box. Because Android is such a customisable OS, sometimes things like manufacturer specific settings (eg Hisuite) or certain apps you may have installed (eg apps that can read screen inputs or that have priority access to the screen) - however it's not a guarantee.

Do you recall installing any new apps or were there any updates to the phone itself, other than the Square app update you saw?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 15
Beta Member

Thanks for the reply. i gave up the trying of finding what is the cause as long as I can use another phone to work with the reader. I am happy to leave this problem to the software engineers. 

I don't think I installed any Apps, just a regular phone firmware update and then the Square App ceased function.

Please keep me update don the progress if there is any. It would help many others who has the same problem.

BR

Sonny

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

Hello all I recently updated my phone to version EMUI 10.1.0.315 on my Huawei Mate 20 Pro phone it now says my phone is not compatible when I am trying to connect my phone. My Android version is 10. Before my phone worked with the version before this now it doesn't. Is anyone able to help me with this? or anyone found a solution.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Message 8 of 15
Admin

Hey @RyanR,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I moved your thread to this recent post with the same issue and a suggested solution - are you able to see it following these steps to turn off Hisuite helps?

Let me know how you go!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 15
Beta Member

@Seamus @Yeah thanks for that I have tried that it still shows the same message it's not compatible. I have yet to try a phone reset. They asked me to try a phone reset on it. Do you know any other fix or solution where I don't have to do a phone factory reset?

Message 10 of 15
Beta Member

@Seamus Is there any fix yet as I have resettled my device but it does not work still.

Message 11 of 15
Admin

Hey @RyanR,

Unfortunately I've not heard anything further about this issue, other than we were able to test internally and were not able to replicate the issue.

The next step would be to file a ticket with our support team, who will be able to investigate further.

Out of interest, what mobile carrier are both yourself and @yslaundrette using? It's probably a long shot, but I'm wondering if there may have been a carrier-specific update made the the device.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 15
Beta Member

I am with Vodafone Australia. I don't think it would have anything to do with the carrier. It has to be the phone's firmware.  But I believe that Square's software engineer team has to solve this issue soon or later, otherwise there will be more people complain for this issue. 

Message 13 of 15
Admin

@yslaundrette - I agree that this is unlikely to be a carrier issue - however the more info we have about the issue, the easier it will be to rule out one thing or another.

If you've not already done so, please also file a ticket with our support team and let me know how it goes!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 14 of 15
Beta Member

I have already contacted with the support team. and they replied:

" HI Sonny, 

Thanks for your feedback. Apologies for the delayed response, but it's good to know that the reader was not faulty! 

I have passed on your case for further consideration around similar issues to yours. If we were to escalate to our engineers for further troubleshooting, they would advise us to ensure all troubleshooting steps have been completed - which includes factory resetting your mobile device. I understand how this may not be possible or ideal, however it is a crucial step in understanding the root cause to any software communication issues. 

I'll let you know if I receive any further insights from the development team. Thanks for your understanding and assistance so far. 

Regards,

Roberto
Square Support"

and I don't think I would go through the phone reset step to just find out the issue. So I give up and meanwhile to use my old phone as a dedicated device for the reader. Finger crossed that they can solve this issue sooner.

thanks for your support here!

Message 15 of 15