x
Beta Member

Square app on iPhone can't fully connect to Reader

I have had this issue for some months, but had assumed it was because I was on beta versions of iOS 15. No longer on the beta, but still the same issue:

- remove the Square Reader from Bluetooth settings on the iPhone

- remove the Reader from within the hardware section of the app

- tap to add a new Reader

- hold down the button on the Reader until the lights flash orange 

- Reader starts to connect, then the iPhone says the connection failed, and tells me to update Point of Sale - I already have the latest update

This is starting to get annoying as it means I have to manually process every card. (I think Square also gets an extra percentage point of money on every transaction!)

Anyone have any suggestions on what else I can try?

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Baobab68,

Thanks for getting writing in, and welcome to the Seller Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

Please give deleting the Square app, and reinstalling it another go when you get the chance, as this should now resolve the issue you're seeing. 

Please let us know how you go! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Best Answer

Hi @Baobab68,

Thanks for getting writing in, and welcome to the Seller Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

Please give deleting the Square app, and reinstalling it another go when you get the chance, as this should now resolve the issue you're seeing. 

Please let us know how you go! 

Message 2 of 13

Luckily Iโ€™m still in lockdown right now but it would be nice to know that Iโ€™ll be able to accept payment when we do reopen

Message 3 of 13

Hey @moodyhair,

Thanks for writing in, I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community ๐Ÿ‘‹ . I've merged your question to this thread, please check out the best answer, and let us know how you go. 

Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

I will give it a try tonight.

Message 5 of 13
Beta Member

Sunday night I have a reminder in my diary to charge my reader, and I randomly decided to check the connection again and itโ€™s working, even if I remove from the Bluetooth settings of the phone, I can add it back through the app, now seems to be working as designed. And I am now on iOS 15.1 beta as well so itโ€™s not a blanket issue on iOS betas. Just happy to have it working again. 

Message 6 of 13

Thanks for going through these steps @Baobab68! I'm glad to hear your reader is working for you again ๐Ÿ™‚ 

Message 7 of 13

Hi. I am also having an issue connecting my iPhone app to the square reader. I have deleted the app and reinstalled it twice now but still a problem. I have even tried to connect at several locations thinking it may have been a wifi issue. I have not been able to use square for my business for the past 3 weeks. I'm desperate to resolve this or find something that will work. Need help here if anyone has suggestions? Thanking you in advance.

Message 8 of 13
Beta Member

I have the same issue back again as well - I do believe in my case it's because I have iOS 16 beta on my phone. What version of iOS are you running? I still take payments through the app but Square gets an extra % of my income because the reader doesn't work and I have to key the card manually.

Message 9 of 13

I've finally read a few more blogs and discovered PETERSMITH who wrote 

1. In the Square Point of Sale App go to Settings > Hardware > Card Readers > Forget all card readers
2. Force-quit Point of Sale App
3. Open Device settings
4. Navigate to Bluetooth
5. Forget all Square Readers
6. Hold the button on the Reader until the lights flash red
7. Reboot the Device
8. Re-launch Point of Sale app, wait about 1 minute, and re-pair the Reader

And this seemed to do it and my square app is now connecting to my reader yehhh!

Message 10 of 13

I'm also on 15.5 iOS

Message 11 of 13

I've done all of this, but I can't connect. No matter how long I hold down the button on the reader it will not go read.It flashes green for a few secondhand then goes off

Message 12 of 13

Sorry to hear you're still stuck with your Square Reader, @3019. When you have a moment, plug your reader into your charger for a few minutes. Next, press the button just once to activate the reader. Then, press and hold the reader for 20-30 seconds until the lights turn red. Please let us know how you go!

Message 13 of 13