x

Square card reader

I have a square card reader and I’ve set up my account but it’s not letting me continue setting up until I “activate my account”. Like I said, I already have an account and each time I press “activate my account it keeps trying to make me create a new one! Help I need to use it ASAP

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Tyrathompsson,

Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community 👋 

Before you can accept card payments through your Square account, you’ll need to complete a basic identity verification step. To complete the account activation:

1. Sign in to your Square Dashboard > click Setup Guide.
  2. Select Get Paid > Verify Your Identity.

If you've already verified your identity, and still see this notification, sign out of your app by tapping on More > Log out to refresh the application. Next, sign back in and try connecting your reader again. 

While we can't troubleshoot on accounts via our community forum, support would also be able to take a look at your account to confirm it's ready to go. You can reach support on 1800 760 137, Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm AEST. 

Please let us know how you go!

Message 2 of 6

I'm in the same boat.  But I cannot find "setup guide" anywhere on the dashboard.  How do I activate my account?

Further, the 'logout' isn't on 'more,' it's on the account item and labelled 'sign out.'  

Also, the app seems to be seeing the reader, but after a long period of attempting to create a secure connection, it eventually reverts to "reader not ready."

Message 3 of 6

Hey @MelbDiscGolf,

Thanks for writing in 🙂

As the setup guide option isn't coming up for you, I'd suggest reaching out to our support team so they can take a look at your account, as we're not able to look into account specific details via our community forum. 

You can call support on 1800 760 137, from Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm AEST, or contact us via online chat or email here

Please let us know how you go!

Message 4 of 6

Thanks...  it turns out that there's a very manual process whereby someone in your team has to check all my submitted documentation.  That can take as long as three weeks, but they've promised to expedite this as much as possible.

Perhaps I'm blind, but I didn't see anywhere in the process that said this would happen.  Maybe there's a need to improve the workflow and messaging around this... particularly when the app pushes us into re-starting the registration process when instead it should have a message saying 'registration pending for review' of something more appropriate.

Also, someone needs to review the various support documents as they seem to make reference to older versions of the software and to commands that have either moved or been renamed.

Message 5 of 6

Thank you for sharing this feedback, @MelbDiscGolf

I'll pass your feedback regarding the process to our team, as we strive to make the onboarding process more streamlined and appreciate you letting us know where we can better. 

Message 6 of 6