x

Square portal on Woo commerce

Firstly I'll admit I'm not up to speed with a lot of this, but the site is Wordpress built and is using Woo Commerce. The payment section for the Square Portal asks for credit card details etc but it also asks for a Post Code. Is this generated by Square and if so, how can I get rid of this odd requirement?

Cheers 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

Hey @Daylef,

Thanks for reaching out.

You're correct that a post code is not required in Australia in online transactions! Though, sometimes the field will appear anyway in online transactions, which seems to be a carry over of the requirement in different countries.

I've found that usually entering the billing post code for the card should allow the transaction to go through. 

As far as I'm aware there is no way of getting rid of it - are you finding your customers get confused and don't complete their transactions because of this?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5

Hi Seamus. The site is in pre launch phase and I'm helping tidy it up. The old site (Drupal) has a Square portal which crashed very often because of the Post Code requirement and invariably I'd get a phone call from a grumpy customer (it often charged their card before completing the transaction). I found the only way it would work is if I used the Post Code of the supplier. Can we make it optional rather than mandatory?

Dayle...

Message 3 of 5
Admin

@Daylef there's no way to make the post code field optional on Square's end.

Those Drupal issues do sound strange - did you ever file a ticket with their support team? It sounds like an issue with the integration - because all 3rd party integrations are build and maintained by the 3rd parties who integrate with Square, your first port of call would be to file a ticket with them.

You might want to do the same with WooCommerce support too - they build and maintain the Square integration so may be able to help further here. If WooCommerce are able to explain if/why there is a fault on Square's end with the integration then it's possible our team could look into it further, though you'd need to start things by initiating a ticket with WooCommerce, then with Square support if WooCommerce are not able to fix the issue and believe it's on Square's end.

Though, I suspect you should not have any issues as long as the customer enters their billing post code (or I've even heard entering 0000 will work). Have you run a test transaction at all, and if so, what happened?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 5

I'm not too concerned at the Drupal issue as the new site is literally two weeks away. Yes I've tried a transaction which worked fine but then I knew about the previous PC issue. I might have a go with WooCommerce, or at least ask the developer to talk to them. I think it may be worthwhile responding to this once we've done more testing and trying some odd numbers. I'll also respond if I get an answer from WooCommerce.

Cheers   

Message 5 of 5