x

Xero Invoices and Accepting Payment via Square Reader

Hi Square Community,

I am new to Square and this forum, so I apologise if I have missed the answer to my question.

My current situation is:

• I generate invoices with Xero
  • I add the appropriate surcharge to the invoice to cover the Square Reader processing fee (I understand that this cannot be added automatically)
  • The customer pays the invoice using the Square Reader

I have integrated Square and Xero but is there a way in Square to select an Xero invoice as the item being billed via Square Reader?

Any help is appreciated.

Kind regards,

Tim

Kind regards,
Tim B.
Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hi @Emanda,

I received the following email from the Amaka support team.

If you create invoices for each Square transaction processed in Square, it is recommended to turn off the Sales Sync module of the Square and Xero integration so that the sales will not double up. The Sales Sync module of the integration summarises all Square transactions into an invoice to record the sales.

To turn off the Sales Sync, go to Integrations Dashboard and login to the Square account.

1. On the integration, expand the options menu ••• and then click Edit
  2. Go to the Features page and toggle off the Sales Sync and then click Save and Continue

Meanwhile, if you invoice from Xero and accept payments through Square, you need to mark the invoice as paid by adding a payment on the lower part of the invoice. Allocate the payment to Square Balance.

The integration syncs the Square deposit and Square Fee so in your bank feed, you can easily reconcile the Square transfer and click ok on the matching bank transfer transaction.

Hope this information is useful.

Kind regards,

Tim B.

Kind regards,
Tim B.

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @Tim_Butler,

Thanks for getting in touch and welcome to the Seller Community 🙂

Unfortunately there's no specific way to mark a payment made via Square as a corresponding Xero payment - there may be a way to do this via the integration, but you'd need to check with Amaka here, the company that builds and supports the official Square to Xero integration.

If you go to this web page and press "Request Support" this will put you thought to Amaka's support team.

If you are able to find a solution through Amaka please feel free to comment back here - it might help other users in the future!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Hi Seamus,

Thanks for your reply and directing me to Amaka for assisting with my query. Very helpful.

Kind regards,
Tim B.
Message 3 of 8
Beta Member

Tim, did you have any luck with Amaka regarding your reuquest - I would be keen to do something similar until the functionality in Square gets to where I need it so I don’t have to invoice through Xero?

Message 4 of 8

Best Answer

Hi @Emanda,

I received the following email from the Amaka support team.

If you create invoices for each Square transaction processed in Square, it is recommended to turn off the Sales Sync module of the Square and Xero integration so that the sales will not double up. The Sales Sync module of the integration summarises all Square transactions into an invoice to record the sales.

To turn off the Sales Sync, go to Integrations Dashboard and login to the Square account.

1. On the integration, expand the options menu ••• and then click Edit
  2. Go to the Features page and toggle off the Sales Sync and then click Save and Continue

Meanwhile, if you invoice from Xero and accept payments through Square, you need to mark the invoice as paid by adding a payment on the lower part of the invoice. Allocate the payment to Square Balance.

The integration syncs the Square deposit and Square Fee so in your bank feed, you can easily reconcile the Square transfer and click ok on the matching bank transfer transaction.

Hope this information is useful.

Kind regards,

Tim B.

Kind regards,
Tim B.
Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

Thanks @Tim_Butler - really appreciate you posting the feedback from Amaka, it was really useful and will save me hours of time!

Cheers,

Emanda

Message 6 of 8

I'd just like to say, please Square, the reason this comes up so often is that Square seems to be intent on preventing Xero from working they way it's designed to work through integration, nothing to do with Amaka or Xero. All we want is the OPTION to HANDLE THE SURCHARGE separate to each transaction because it's a TON of TIME CONSUMING WORK to pick up transactions in Xero whose total doesn't match the Xero invoice transaction amount.

Just give your customers positive options to use their integrated products the way they're designed to work for maximum efficiency.

I'm finding myself looking for other options just because every option Square seems to offer in the scenario of Xero invoices and surcharged transactions involve changing a whole bunch of things that don't need to be changed.

Just offer to separate the surcharges from the transaction amounts so our invoices have the correct amount when they appear in Xero. Simple.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @splurben,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that this is still something you're hoping we improve. If you haven't already, feel free to join our Beta Community, where we often reach out to sellers to test out new features, and join feedback sessions. I know this isn't the answer you're hoping for, but we're still tracking surcharges as a feature request, and advocate for this to be implemented. We hear how important this is to you and will keep you in the loop with updates. 

Message 8 of 8