x

after pay card

Hello wanting to know if square is compatible with the new AFTER PAY CARD 

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Afterpay is available for in-person transactions through Square officially now @nia-pasha @VanityHouse - in the event you don't have their previous manual workaround still going per @dieterslicke

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @nia-pasha,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community ๐Ÿ‘‹

Square doesn't integrate with AfterPay at the moment. While we don't have a time frame for AfterPay card acceptance, it's currently a feature request. We're hoping to support this in the future! 

In the meantime, we'd suggest reaching out to AfterPay directly to express interest in accepting their new card with Square. 

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

Hi,

Afterpay is now supporting Square in store via their card feature. The rollout has been a joke, but from what I hear from other sellers, it now seems to be working well (we havenโ€™t had someone try to pay with it since we did the last step in their onboard process). 

What I will say though, is I was trying to understand the fee structure as soon as Afterpay announced this support. Because it baffled me how they were doing this without support of payment processors (ie Square in this instance). Afterpay has not been transparent with any of this information of course, but one of our friends who uses Square and Afterpay in their business has noticed that Afterpay Card is costing Afterpayโ€™s trans fee % + Squareโ€™s trans fee. This is ridiculous if you ask me, for us this eats into a large chunk of our sale and weโ€™re now seriously reconsidering supporting Afterpay at all after finding this out. 

Weโ€™re really hanging out for PayPalโ€™s Pay in 4 solution because this will be 2.2% + Squareโ€™s fee, which is basically half of Afterpay + Square!

Also, this is not limited to Square. I can almost guarantee Afterpay will be doing this with all transaction processors (ie Tyro, eftpos etc). So whilst this integration may seem convenient, it comes at a high price. Weโ€™re just sticking to not supporting Afterpay Card for now and doing it old school through the merchant portal manually to avoid the extra fee. At least until the PayPal solution arrives anyway.

Proud Australian Square Super Seller and users of Square Appointments โ€ข Square POS โ€ข Square Online โ€ข Square Reader โ€ข Square Stand

We use Square with integrations for Xero by Amaka โ€ข Printful / We have used Squarespace โ€ข Shopify โ€ข WooCommerce โ€ข QuickBooks and more!

Dieter Slicke is a boutique barber shop by appointment only with our own range of Australian made hair and skin care products
Message 3 of 6

When customers do use their afterpay card or zip card to pay in store via square terminal, how does the funds get paid to the business? How does square know how to transfer those payments via afterpay or zip to the business?

Message 4 of 6
Admin

@VanityHouse at the moment we don't have an official integration with Afterpay or Zip Pay. We hope to implement Afterpay support across our product range in 2022 once Square's planned acquisition of Afterpay is finalised, and we'll have more to share on how that will work at a later date.

Some sellers have reported Afterpay being able to add support for Afterpay card with Square readers, though this is done via a workaround on their end. If you can get this working, on the Square end there's no difference between taking a payment with a regular credit card - Square will take its fee then deposit the remaining amount into your linked bank account. Note that you'll still be subject to your regular fee arrangement with Afterpay.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 6
Admin

Best Answer

Afterpay is available for in-person transactions through Square officially now @nia-pasha @VanityHouse - in the event you don't have their previous manual workaround still going per @dieterslicke

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 6