x

change abn

Hello, I have changed my ABN and wondering if I can change it on Square without recreating an account?

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tryingforourh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we are not able to support a change of ABN on Square accounts at the moment. This is due to the fact that a change of ABN in Australia usually reflects a change of the underlying business ownership structure, and we don't support changing account ownership.

You'd need to actually create a new Square account and enter your new ABN upon sign-up - which is doable via https://squareup.com/au, you'd just need to use a different email address to the one used for your initial account. If you'd like to continue using the same email address, this is something you'd be able to change in the future once you set up the new account.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Super Seller

I would assume the Australian Square app is similar to the US one and you should be able to change the business number under your account settings.  https://squareup.com/dashboard/business/taxes is where we change our TIN number so maybe its the same for your ABN number.

Message 2 of 46
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @tryingforourh,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Unfortunately we are not able to support a change of ABN on Square accounts at the moment. This is due to the fact that a change of ABN in Australia usually reflects a change of the underlying business ownership structure, and we don't support changing account ownership.

You'd need to actually create a new Square account and enter your new ABN upon sign-up - which is doable via https://squareup.com/au, you'd just need to use a different email address to the one used for your initial account. If you'd like to continue using the same email address, this is something you'd be able to change in the future once you set up the new account.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 3 of 46

If I setup a new account with a new abn, will I also need to purchase a new reader?

Message 4 of 46
Alumni

Hey @websitings,

The good news is there is no data stored on our readers, so there is no need to purchase a new reader if you create a new account.

Message 5 of 46

I understand creating a new account, can I import customer list and templates for receipts, invoices etc?

Message 6 of 46
Admin

Hey @RickBBSA,

Customers can be imported/exported per this guide, your items can also be exported/imported however it won't include images and modifiers. 

Receipts and invoices aren't able to be imported/exported, you'd need to set these up again via the dashboard.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 46

What about my store and my website are all already created with my OLD ABN number, how do I merge the new and old account? I don't want to create a new website for my store and online store just because I can't change it to my new ABN 

Message 8 of 46
Admin

Hey @CanberraGourmet,

Merging accounts isn't something supported at the moment unfortunately.

Sorry I can't offer a better solution here - I'm afraid to say that you'll need to recreate your Square Online website if you need to create a new Square account due to a change in ABN. This is understandably frustrating, and I hope it's something we're able to change in the future. 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 46
Beta Member

The entire Square system is a DISGRACE. I have sold my business, supposedly with a fully functioning eCommerce website, and now learned that not only can the account not be transferred to the new owner, but neither can the two websites.

Hundreds and hundreds of hours of work, all of the SEO traffic, existing backlinks, hundreds of products, product descriptions and product photos, website design, content written, all to be vaporised because apparently Square devs have no capacity to migrate a site across THEIR OWN SERVERS to another account. Apparently there is no way to export the existing database, code or media library either.

Oh, and the icing on the cake? There is no way to remove my ABN from the account, so guess who has to wear the tax liability of every transaction?

They are quoting "Australian legislation" as the issue. What a load of BS. I should be able to remove my ABN from any platform, particularly when I no longer own the entity/business that the account is associated with. I no longer own the domain, or the business name, yet Square refuses to acknowledge this.

They are content with vaporising everything associated with it. The websites, the traffic, the search engine rankings, all of that is valuable IP to the OWNER OF THE BUSINESS. Square has no right to refuse the business access to that.

If they are forced to start a brand new account, and build brand new websites, why would people even stay with Square? Does the company not realise how bad this is for their own business? If they have to start from scratch, then obviously, they are going to go elsewhere.

There are threads dating back almost 5 years here! People have been requesting this functionality for that long. Square clearly has no understanding of the ramifications of this mess or the difficulties that this puts people in.

Like, you can't get married and change your name without having to start a new account and rebuild your entire website?!  You can't change the structure of your company if it grows and needs a new ABN? What an absolute joke.

Message 10 of 46

Hi Seamus,   With ABN and change of account.  Can we transfer existing sqaure set-up and POS?

Message 11 of 46
Admin

Hey @Dirtrd,

Thanks for reaching out!

You'll be able to use your existing Square hardware no problems, which isn't linked your Square account - where payments go and what business they are taken under is determined by which Square account you're logged into on the app.

If you're referring to the POS app setup, it depends. You won't be able to transfer your transaction history to a new Square account, but you will be able to transfer a few things like your item inventory (minus images and modifier sets) and customer directory. This is done via exporting a spreadsheet from either section from the old account, then importing that spreadsheet into the new Square account.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 12 of 46

Thanks Seamus,   I'll call your customer support so I can create a smooth transition to a new account.

Cheers Trev 🙂

Message 13 of 46

So your telling me after everything I have entered, created and all my transaction history will be lost just because you can't yet SUPPORT an ABN change... When can this be supported???

Message 14 of 46

Not impressive at all.  A considerable workload just to change a few numbers. 

Message 15 of 46

It’s a joke isn’t it! Something so simple. This really should be on top of the priory list. 

Message 16 of 46

Hi Seamus,

just wondering if this feature has been updated yet so we can change our ABN as we are four years on from this message? And thought they might have done something about this issue by now.

Kind Regards 

Jaz

Message 17 of 46
Admin

Hey @Jazza! Unfortunately I don't have any news to share here at the moment, though I understand it would be a very helpful feature for businesses that change owners or ABNs, and the process of setting up a new account isn't a simple or elegant solution.

Generally speaking, account change of ownership has been a very popular feature request both in Australia and other Square markets, and I'm hopeful it's something we'll eventually see. While I don't have anything to share at the moment, I'll update this thread if we do see movement here in the future.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 18 of 46

Hi,

If ABN cannot be changed, and we have to create a new account, what happens to the Online Store subscription and my customers list? Can they be transferred?

Message 19 of 46
Square Community Moderator

Hi @raytrace, thanks for reaching out to us!

In the event you need to create a new Square account and want to transfer your existing subscribers to your current account, you can use the online Import Customers tool to do this. 

Be sure to read through the recommended steps here and let us know if you have any further questions.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 20 of 46

Hi!

I need to change my ABN as we’ve had a restructure and gone from a partnership to a sole proprietor. I still own the business and the business name etc are all registered to myself under a different ABN. Do I still need to create a new account?

Message 21 of 46