x

Point of Sale - lay by / layby option

Beta Member

Point of Sale - lay by / layby option

Hello,  is there a way to "lay-by" in square?

0 Likes
32 Comments
Admin

Hey @NicLay,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment our Point of Sale app does not feature lay-by functionality. We do feature the ability to schedule multiple payments over time with our invoicing system, however this is only currently doable from your Square dashboard as a remote payment, rather than on the POS app with in person card payments.

You may still find it useful - read more about scheduling multiple payments with invoices here and let me know if you have any questions!

Beta Member

Would love a layby feature 

At the moment we are using invoices option.  But we don’t like how the money gets held by square until fully paid.

Admin

Hey @pickers2019,

Thanks for your feedback! 

I've moved your comment to this existing thread so we can track demand for a layby feature in the one place.

With that said, the money should not be held until an invoice is fully paid in Square - a partial payment on an invoice should still go through on the next business day according to your usual deposit schedule. If you're unsure about this it might be worth getting in touch with our support team who can clarify when any give partial invoice payments was transferred to your bank account!

Hi, 

Would love to jump on and add my interest for a Layby feature 🙂 

Admin

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request @Ideasmornington. I've not heard anything about this feature coming, but I'll pass on the feedback and we'll continue to track demand here!

We are currently trying to set up a "layby" function through the invoicing system, but are having issues with scheduling payments. We are subscribed to the Square for Retail. I am able to set up invoices that can be partially paid, but can only be paid instore. We would like to be able to email the invoice, and allow customers to make partial payments through the link in the email??? At the moment, the Invoice link only allows the full owing amount to be paid....... Help?

Admin

Hey @krickles78

Thanks for your message and welcome to the community! 

At the moment Square doesn't feature a layby function, though multi-payment progress invoices are available with Square Invoices Plus. This is a subscription-based product, so if you're not seeing it in Invoices as an option you'd need to subscribe to get that fuctionality.

We're also planning on integrating Afterpay across our product range as way of supporting a buy now pay later app in the future.

My work-around is to use the gift card process. I can allocate a gift card to a customer and add money as required. The card can be stored with the said item. Not perfect, but doable.

Jumping on as layby is desperately needed. I am using the invoice option however the stock does come out the inventory, it remaims as still available for purchase until such time as the invoice is  paid in full.

not a good function for a retail business offerring in store and online shopping.

hope this is flagged as a must have for future square enhancements and quickly

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice to this feature request, @Spinayarncraft, and welcome to our seller community. While it doesn't look like a lay-by feature is in the works at the moment, we recently launched Afterpay, which allows customers to pay off purchases online or in-store over instalments. Learn more here