x
Beta Member

numerical key pad

Hi wondering if its possible to add a numerical key pad to the POS system? We have the square system with the ipad, holder, cash draw & printer. When a customer makes a payment over $100 they can’t reach across the bar to enter their pin number. Because the system has been mounted we cannot pass the ipad over for the to enter their pin and do not want to have them walk around in to the bar to enter their pin numbers

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hey @Gsxar,

Not at the moment unfortunately - if you're using Square Stand it's designed to be swivelled 180 degrees to face your customers for PIN entry - it will need to be installed within reach of your customers in order to do this though.

Sorry we can't be of more help with this one!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Hi,

I’m also wondering this as some of my customers are very uncomfortable entering their PIN on the ipad as other customers can see the screen on which they are entering their PIN over their shoulder. Also, very difficult/impossible for vision impaired customers to enter their PIN. A push button/tactile

pad for entering you PIN would be very useful

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Hey @theyarnbowl,

Thanks again for your feedback 🙂

Per my reply in the other thread, we're currently working internally on better solutions for the visually impaired to use our products, in addition to the headphone jack / audio guide currently available for Square Terminal!

We're also looking into integrating Square Terminal with our Point of Sale app running on iPads - so hopefully in the future you'll be able to use the iPad to start a sale, then your customer can use Square Terminal to insert or tap their card and enter their PIN, as an alternative to entering it on the iPad's touch screen.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 6

So Square has now introduced two displays (one additional for the customer) and still with a smooth glass screen that someone with a vision impairment still cannot navigate!!!! How about the developers put a blindfold on occasionally and try and use the POS. IT’s IMPOSSIBLE. Stop being discriminatory and provide a POS that everyone can use!!! At least a tactile numeric PIN pad. 

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Hey @theyarnbowl,

Our solution for accessibility using Square Register is a TalkBack feature that can be used via a set of headphones with a standard 3.5mm headphone jack, and enables audio prompts for the checkout and payment flow.

You can read more about Square Register's accessibility features here. We always strive to improve our products and services to make sure that they are accessible to everyone, and are actively working on a solution to make PIN entry on glass more accessible for the vision impaired. We know this is an issue that is not exclusive to Square, and look forward to sharing more on this as it develops.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 6