x

"Developer Options Not Supported" Error on POS App for Android

Hi, 

I am trying to connect my device to my mobile app however I am recieving an error "Developer Options Not Supported" This device has enabled Developer Options ,Please disable Developer Options in order to use Square's chip reader. 

Anyone know how I can fix this issue? 

Brand new from store yesterday 

thanks

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @BlushBrows,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about the trouble you've had connecting your reader.

The error you're seeing here about "Developer Options" is actually due to a setting on your mobile device rather than the Square reader itself. Square readers require a secure operating environment in order to process sensitive card data, which means the "Developer Options" on your Android device should be turned off.

You can generally find this setting on your Android Device under "Settings" then "Developer Options" (usually located towards the bottom of your settings) - make sure you flick Developer Options off. Once you've done this, you should be able to pair the reader successfully via the Square POS app.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any further assistance! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @BlushBrows,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry to hear about the trouble you've had connecting your reader.

The error you're seeing here about "Developer Options" is actually due to a setting on your mobile device rather than the Square reader itself. Square readers require a secure operating environment in order to process sensitive card data, which means the "Developer Options" on your Android device should be turned off.

You can generally find this setting on your Android Device under "Settings" then "Developer Options" (usually located towards the bottom of your settings) - make sure you flick Developer Options off. Once you've done this, you should be able to pair the reader successfully via the Square POS app.

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any further assistance! 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 24

My reader was fine and accepting payments and then all of a sudden stopped working and is giving me the "developer options" message. I have turned it off in settings but I still can not pair my reader. 

Message 3 of 24
Admin

Hey @Trishhull,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting your reader working. Can you let me know what make and model of mobile device you're using?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 24

Why cant I use the card reader when my phone has developer mode enabled. Developer mode is not a security issue so developer mode should not have any effect on the APP or the Card Reader. Due to my disability I require developer mode to be enabled to use specific functions on my phone but the Square reader will not allow this so every time I want to take a payment I have to turn the developer mode off then restart my phone then when I have finished I have to turn it back on again to continue using my phone as normal. This is crazy no other payment solution like iZettle or Worldpay have this issue so why has your Reader. I'ts beginning to drive me nuts can you do an update to fix this I don't want to but I will need to go back to the Worldpay card reader system instead if this is not fixed soon.

Message 5 of 24
Admin

Hey @Daz1847,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing your experience using Square.

To the best of my knowledge, one of the key reasons Square has stricter security requirements than some other card readers is due to differing PCI compliance standards for devices that use "PIN on Glass" tech - ie a PIN is being entered on a touchscreen via software, rather than buttons on a separate device.

Because having developer options enabled allows for much more control and customization of how Android operates, it does unfortunately mean we can't accept card payments in this environment.

With this said, it's our goal to make our products as accessible as possible for as many people as possible. If you'd like to send me a PM with more info about how you use Square and your mobile device in general, I can share your feedback with our product development teams and see if we have any other advice to give.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 6 of 24

Have a Samsung Note 9 and had developer options enabled.

I have disabled it but is now saying not supported.

I have cleared cache for the app and reset the square, but still no luck

Message 7 of 24
Admin

Hey @JaGuR,

It sounds like there is a setting or app on the device that is preventing Square's reader from forming a secure connection. It's a little difficult for us to pinpoint what that can be without the device at hand - do you recall installing any new apps, updates or turning on new features if the device was previously working? Do you have any apps that can be used for screen recording/sharing or that make use of screen overlays?

It might be a good idea to try calling our technical support team for further assistance on 1800 760 137.

If the device previously worked with Square, as a last resort you could also try restoring the phone to it's factory settings, which should restore the phone to a state whereby no apps or settings are conflicting with our ability to securely process payments.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 8 of 24

You're right, it's totally discriminatory, and would be illegal in some countries. Android has a ton of permission settings, and that's why other apps are able to develop securely.

But they know they have no competitors.

You have no choice but to buy a new phone just for using this dongle.

Message 9 of 24

Buy a new phone? 😂😂 drama queen. And Square does have competitors. But don't let facts get in the way of your moaning. 

Message 10 of 24

If you require Developer Options to be enabled for a specific reason (not security related) then how else would you suggest I use my Square Reader, without getting another phone?

The fact of the matter is, this was a deal breaker for me. I moved to a competitors platform.

Blocking the app from working due to the top level 'Developer Options' being enabled (instead of specific options that may pose a security risk) is just lazy programming. Do it properly, or don't do it at all.

Message 11 of 24

I've tried to do this and it's still not working. 

Also tried to turn on HDB setting. And not working also

Message 12 of 24

I can't believe this nonsense that I can't have "Developer Options" enabled on my phone.

My banking apps are quite happy to work with it enabled. NAB, GPay, CommBank etc.. but not Square? I've only got my reader today and I'm already thinking of getting rid of it.

Your fees are higher than the competition and now this restriction on using the app.. I am an app developer, so I will not be turning off Developer Options on my device, as I use it. If this is not resolved, I guess I'll switch to Zeller or something else and put this reader in the bin.

What a shame.

Message 13 of 24
Square Community Moderator

Hi @bayinfo thanks for reaching out, I can certainly appreciate your frustration here.

As it stands, this device requirement remains unchanged. While I am unable to comment on internal development priorities, it's unlikely that this is something we'll be changing anytime soon.

I've passed on your feedback from today and should we receive any further updates on this matter, we'll be sure to update everyone in this thread.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 14 of 24
Beta Member

I agree completely. There is no reason that they have stated as to why you can't head developer options open.

A blanket statement of its insecure is not only inaccurate but an outright lie. Well, there might be a setting or some feature there that they are worried about. Why not state that specifically. 

If they can name one specific setting or the specific settings that might make it "less secure" then maybe we can figure something out or maybe make your software look for that single setting being enabled.

As a business owner, I am developing and using several apps for our company which require me to have developer settings open for various things and none of them that I can think of in any way would make this insecure. And if having developer options open is insecure, why isn't it insecure when you have a square reader hooked up to insecure Bluetooth which you can also change several security type settings on in the developer settings.

I was excited about this feature, but as this and previous commenters have said it's time to move on to another company that doesn't charge much money and actually cares about security instead of pretending to care about it. 

Message 15 of 24
Beta Member

Hi, I'm having the same exact problem. I followed the steps to turn off the "Developer Options" but it still won't pair. 
My device is supposed to be compatible so I don't understand why this won't work. Can you please help me. I have a Huawei P20

Message 16 of 24

Hey @Gen0128,

We're sorry to hear that trouble has brought you to the seller community!

Do you have any apps on your phone that might impact the way your phone operates e.g an app that changes the appearance of your phone, adds overlays, or records your screen? 

Message 17 of 24
Beta Member

Hi, how would I know if I have adds overlays?  I don't think that I have anything that changes the appearance of my phone nor records my screen

Message 18 of 24

Thank you for checking, @Gen0128

A common example would be an app that dims your screen, or changes app icons to a theme, rather than what was included in the standard OS on your Huawei P20. If you're still having trouble with this, reach out to our support team so we can file a ticket as your device is supposed to be supported. You can call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email:

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squareup.com/help/au/en/contact

3. Click on any topic, then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us" or "Email us"

Or, if you see the new chatbot help flow, type "support" to bring up a list of contact methods.

Message 19 of 24
Beta Member

ok, I see. I'm guessing this includes an app that changes the background image everyday as well. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me. It's appreciated 🙂

Message 20 of 24

This is the reason I ended up switching away from Square. So many silly restrictions that stop the app from working. My banking apps are completely satisfied with my devices security and settings, but the Square app isnt.. so annoying.

Message 21 of 24