x

Alternate Payments/Market Bucks

Our market has recently implemented "Market Bucks". They're $5.00 promo vouchers that are given to random market customers to use at any booth. At the end of the day, the vouchers are redeemed for cash by the market staff. What's the best way of handling these vouchers? I mean, they have a $5 cash value but it's $5.00 off for the customer that's being paid by the market. In Square, it wouldn't be a discount as each merchant still gets that money; it's an alternate payment and I'm not sure how to set that up.

Any help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EvSkae

Welcome to the Community! 

Thank you for your question. You could possibly use Gift Cards (physical or electronic) to accomplish what you're looking for. Unfortunately, there isn't something fitting exactly what you need. 

I am going to tag this as a Feature Request for our Product Team, so they can get some eyes on this. Surely, there are other sellers who would benefit from something like this. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Thank you, Kassi. I did find a work around by adding a payment type of "Other Gift Card or Certificate". I think it will work but I won't know until my next market, two weeks from now. 

Message 3 of 8

One more thing.. to set it up as a GC or gift card doesn't work in the way I need it to. "Other Gift Card or Certificate" seems to work the best.

Message 4 of 8
Alumni

That sounds like a great way to do it, @EvSkae!

The Other Gift Card or Certificate option is perfect for recording a payment made using a 3rd-party gift card or certificate. Just keep in mind that when you accept other tender types, Square doesn’t process funds and only functions as an organizational tool. I hope this helps, and good luck at your event! 💸

Valentina
Message 5 of 8

That works out just fine because our market coordinators trade the vouchers for cash. 🙂

Message 6 of 8
Alumni

Fantastic, @EvSkae!

Wishing you the smoothest of sailing when the time of the event comes around 

Valentina
Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

We would like to see this feature as well. We often have to apply deposits that were taken in a third party event planning program, but also have old physical gift certificates that we need to use this payment type for as well. Having an option to set up another payment type (not for processing - just for reporting) would help us to make sure the accounting is done properly.

Message 8 of 8