x

Feature Request: Disabling Tax for Tax Exempt Customers

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: ax Exempt Customers]

Many of my clients are tax exempt (schools and public libraries) and I need to create estimates and invoices without sales tax. These clients buy MANY items and I can't be deleting the sales tax manually for each individual item. I need to have the customer configured as tax exempt. Shopify gives me that option. Does Square allows it too and I just can't see it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Message 1 of 20
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @OBRV! To remove taxes from the entire sale, you'll go through the following steps:

1. Once an item(s) are added to a transaction, you will see a line item that says Tax
  2. Click Tax
  3. You'll see your taxes appear with red circles next to each tax. If you click on the red circles, it will remove the taxes from the sale.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Super Seller

That is not currently an option, but you can just remove the tax from the entire sale rather than removing it from each individual item.

Message 2 of 20
Beta Member

How do you remove the tax from the entire sale rather than item by item?

Message 3 of 20
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @OBRV! To remove taxes from the entire sale, you'll go through the following steps:

1. Once an item(s) are added to a transaction, you will see a line item that says Tax
  2. Click Tax
  3. You'll see your taxes appear with red circles next to each tax. If you click on the red circles, it will remove the taxes from the sale.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 4 of 20

If I remove the sales tax in this manner (for a tax exempt customer) does Square make an adjustment to my net sales total? 

When I file my state sales tax return each month, my state's online reporting system doesn't ask how much tax I collected. It asks for my total net sales, then it computes the tax I owe.

If Square isn't adjusting the net total, then my tax owed will not reflect the exemption. This means I'm still paying the tax for that sale, but now it's coming out of my pocket, because I didn't collect it from the customer.

This is a big problem, since my state (Oklahoma) gives sales tax exemption to all disabled veterans. That's a lot of my customers. 

Please reply to this quickly. I think this is costing me a lot of money!

Message 5 of 20
Square Community Moderator

Hi @mikesclub!

Even if sales tax is removed, the sale will still be reported in net sales. 

As far as any tax issues go- it'd be best to consult with a tax professional on the best way to handle this is. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 20

Yes, I understand that the sale will still be reported in net sales (as it should be). 

But the sale price will be incorrect. If the tax is included in the $10 price, then the price isn’t really $10. It’s roughly $9.91. But Square is still reporting a $10 sale, and I will be required to remit sales tax, even though I didn’t collect any sales tax from the tax-exempt customer. 

Since Square gives me the ability to include tax in the price, I’m asking why it can’t report the correct sale price when I make a tax-exempt sale. I understand Square isn’t in the business of doing my taxes for me, but it does generate reports that I should be able to rely on when I pay my sales tax every month. As it stands now, whenever I make a single tax-exempt sale (I make several every month), I have to manually adjust the figures in the Square sales and tax report. 

Come on guys. All I’m asking for is accurate sales reporting when I use the features Square provides. 

Message 7 of 20
Admin

Hey @mikesclub.

Thanks for your reply. 

I tested this on my end, and I see what your'e saying. I'm sorry we don't have a solution for this now, but I went ahead and moved this over to the Feature Requests section of the Seller Community for Product Team visibility. Thanks for surfacing this issue! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 8 of 20

Thanks so much. Didn’t mean to sound so irritated. 

Message 9 of 20

Can this be done in the mobile version? 

Message 10 of 20

Hi there, @Porter4dmfd 👋 You can toggle on and off your Tax options for individual transactions on a mobile device. More on that here.

I hope that helps!

Joe
Message 11 of 20

I HAVE NOT AN OPTION WHERE I CAN REFLECT MY TAX EXEMPT SALES  ON THE SALES REPORT IS THERE A TRICK YOU CAN SUGGEST THAT HELPS TO REGISTER TAX EXEMPT SALES OR CUSTOMERS?

THANKS IN ADVANCED.

Message 12 of 20

Welcome to the Community, @NCTRRES

Appreciate you taking the time to write in about this feature. Right now, it is an ongoing Feature Request for the Point of Sale program. 

I moved your post to the current Feature Request thread to add your voice to the request. 

Once more information becomes available, a Community Moderator will post a Product Update with more information. 

Kassi
Message 13 of 20

The ability to to assign a tax exempt status to a customer and then turn sales tax off for their purchases would be very beneficial. 

Message 14 of 20
Alumni

@Porter4dmfd

We hear you and that's a feature request that's pretty popular. Right now assigning a tax exempt status to certain customers isn't available but I've merged you to a thread where we can easily update you when there's an update. Be sure to subscribe to the thread! 

Justin
Message 15 of 20

Can you please add me to this thread so if Square adds this as a feature, I will be notified?!

Message 16 of 20

Is there a way to charge custom shipping amounts to customers without the general sales tax getting applied to the shipping charge?

I work mainly with the mobile app and have been shipping products. I have my app setup to charge our state sales tax to the total.  Can we have an option to add a custom shipping amount that wont get taxed?

Message 17 of 20
Admin

Hey @idahoclimber- Thanks for joining us in the Community!

You can follow my steps listed on the first page here. I walk through how you can remove tax from a sale. Once you've done that, you can add a custom amount to the sale and have that be your custom shipping amount. When you add it to the transaction, you can remove any taxes applied to it the same way you do in those steps listed.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 18 of 20
Beta Member

Hello,

We sell to non profits and wholesale to tax exempt clients.  We would like to make them automatically tax exempt easier on staff (we sometimes forget to change the tax toggle).  You have been able to group clients for automatic discounts which we love, so you are close.  Thank you,

Message 19 of 20

@ehflower

Thanks for taking the time to post this. This is fairly popular feature request that is still being investigated so I've merged this to an existing thread so you can be notified when there's an update!

Danny
Beta Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Message 20 of 20