x

Square for Retail: Is there way to apply a discount to a Purchase Order (total and individual item)?

Square for Retail: Is there way to apply a discount to a Purchase Order (total and individual item)?

Is there way to apply a discount to a Purchase Order (total and individual item) on Square for Retail?

0 Likes
26 Comments
Admin

Hi again @alvasllc! At this time it's not possible to apply a discount to a purchase order. I understand how it would help. I've moved this to the Feature request board so we can track and share updates on this request. Thanks for your post! 

I've been extremely happy with the purchase order system within Square however, I do have a feature request. When receiving a purchase order, Square allows for the application of fees and taxes. I use the fee option to apply shipping expenses and then it is equally distributed to the items received on the order. However, there are some times when a distributor offers a discount (holiday sale, etc...) and it would be nice to apply a percentage or dollar amount discount to the sale. This could even be done within the current fee system if it was enabled to accept negative values.

Admin

Thanks for bringing this up, @PatriotJeff! I can see how applying discounts would be useful for your business in this case. Right now, I don't have further insight that I can offer but I've shared your post with our Retail Team. We'll return here with any updates or suggestions that may help streamline this process. Appreciate your patience.

I have only been using Square for Retail since about early Feb but I currently have 4 pending Purchase Orders that I cannot receive becasue the vendors i often purchase from at trade shows offer "show special discounts" that are applied to my entire order. For example one vendor offered an 8% discount for the purchase of more than $3K in goods at the show. I cannot figure out a way to do this without changing the cost of each item to reflect this 8% difference. Problem with that is that these are items that we might reorder and the cost will probably not include the discount the next time around. Is this something Square is working on????

Admin

Hello again @Purdystyle! At this time there isn't a way to apply a vendor discount to a purchase order but that's a great request. I've shared it with the Retail team and if it's a feature that's available in future we'll let you know here! 

Beta Member

Right now, when you apply a fee to a Purchase Order it divides the amount equally between every item, even though the items may have drastically different costs. This can throw off reporting profit margins on the lower cost items, and even report those items at a negative profit margin. It would be nice to have the option to apply the fee weighted based on the item's cost, or as a percentage of the item's cost.

For example, if we pay $200 for shipping on an order that has one item that cost $1,950 and one that costs $50, right now it would apply the shipping cost equally to each item as $100. Instead it would be nice to apply the shipping cost as 10% of each item's cost, so $195 and $5 accordingly.

Admin

@mike109

Totally hear this request and can see how this would be helpful to you. We have a similar request for Discounts... and happy to take this request to our Retail team.

How can I apply a discount on purchase order? I can't use my discounts I have for my products. And I can't enter an item line with a negative number. Is there any way to do this?

Square Community Moderator

Hey!! Thanks for posting - this is currently a feature request we are tracking for Square for Retail, so I have merged your post with an existing one so we can keep them all in one place. 

As a workaround for you and @PatriotJeff , you would have to calculate the discount on each item and mark the unit cost for those items lower within your Purchase Orders. Since COGS and Projected Profit work a first in, first out, the unit costs will adjust for those items when they are sold. 

Let me know if you have any other questions!! Thank you!

We would also really like this feature.  I belong to a buying group that gets discounted terms with hundreds of vendors, and it would be helpful to enter the price and the discount (not all items are discounted per vendor).