x
Beta Member

Can I use a barcode scanner with my android tablet? If so, which one(s)?

I have a Galaxy Tab A 10.1" and would like to be able to use a barcode scanner to make it easier on my employees to ring up sales. Is this possible? If so, what scanner will work? Are there certain features it will need? Bluetooth would be my preference if possible. 

I woud also need a barcode printer if anyone has any advise on that.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Hmmm... It doesn't appear that there is a Bluetooth scanner which is compatible with an Android device. They all seem to work via USB, or an adaptor. Here is a link to supported hardware for Android. Down at the bottom, there is a list of compatible scanners that you can use. 

I use Dymo thermal printers for barcode labels. ( Get your labels from Discount Thermal Labels... Best price ever). I use the Dymo Twin Turbo (because it can house 2 label sizes, so I don't have to change rolls every other print). Dymo also makes a print server that will connect the printer to your network so you can print wirelessly. There are a ton of other print servers out there that will probably work, but I got the Dymo brand because of the reviews, and simplicity. With a network printer, you can get clever and host your barcode labels somewhere online, or on your device, and just email them to your printer. Depending on your setup and workflow, a print server might be unnecessary.

Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

Is that the 450 Twin Turbo you use? I am looking at the 450 Turbo but can't find anywhere what barcode formats it will print. Do you know if it will print the code39 format?

Message 3 of 3