x

Is there a way to add a warehouse as a location?

Verified Answer
Beta Member

I would like to be able to add a warehouse as an inventory only location.  Is there a way to do this?  I tried going into the Add Location, but that looks like it's more for another retail outlet.  I just need to be able to separate what is in my warehouse vs. what is actually in my store and be able to transfer between the two.  TIA!

5 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to add a warehouse as a location?

I am new to Square and cannot believe there is no function to create a warehouse for inventory received as overstock, then transferred to each retail location. Inventory management is the key to success or failure in the retail world. Please sign me up for any testing, discussion forums or anything else I can do to help expedite this feature. Currently Square is wanting me to pay an additional $60 monthly just to electronically track what is coming and going out of a warehouse. This lack of feature is really hindering my ability to expand additional retail store locations. I really want to stick with Square, but this could be a deal breaker when we move to additional locations.

Verified Answer

Agreed! We DESPERATELY need this feature! I don’t want to create a 2nd location named “Warehouse” when it’s not an actual retail location and pay $60/mo. I do not sell from this location; It is simply a warehouse that’s hold my inventory that is not on the shelf yet.

I’m astounded that this feature was requested in 2017 and it still isn’t available 5 years later. Square for Retail is all about running your business efficiently and smoothly… but the lack of this feature is a major flaw. 

There’s also the additional issue that was mentioned earlier in this thread - supplies or non-sellable inventory. I’m an artist and sell a final product; I have tons of supplies and it’s crucial that I keep an inventory on these items, for example a roll of canvas. When I order canvas, I order 3-5 rolls at a time. Without cluttering up my actual store inventory, again, a “warehouse” would be ideal. I need to know when I’m running low on my supplies… otherwise, I get into a bigger jam and can’t make my actual products to sell. 

So instead of being able run my business from Square for Retail, then I have to outsource to an app or spreadsheets… and now my business is spread across several different platforms making it very easy to overlook something or enter something incorrectly, meanwhile I’m still paying $60 per location for Square for Retail….  which is supposed to be everything I need to run my business. You guys… please give us a warehouse!

Verified Answer

Just chiming in that we desperately need this function as well.  Unless and until Square adds the ability to track warehoused stock, it really is just best for small stores who can fit their entire inventory on the shelf.  We have been using Square for years and love it, but we have grown exponentially and the inability to track stock between the store and the warehouse is becoming a major issue.  This is a fairly basic retail function that should be included in the Square for Retail pricing without having to pay an extra $60/month to devise a workaround.  Please help us out here!

Verified Answer

Hi. Is this still considered a second store location at a rate of $60 a month? I have a retail subscription. If you're just reporting that we can add a second store location and name it "warehouse" this is not new and also not helpful. If you're reporting that a secondary storage location/warehouse is included in the Retail subscription as a means to track stock ONLY and never conduct sales, then this is great news! 

Verified Answer

I would like to be able to add a warehouse as an inventory only location.  Is there a way to do this?  I tried going into the Add Location, but that looks like it's more for another retail outlet.  I just need to be able to separate what is in my warehouse vs. what is actually in my store and be able to transfer between the two.  TIA!

31 Comments

Hi all,

Currently evaluating Square for Retail for a multiple location cafe implementation. Currently, multiple locations share a warehouse, and we're looking for a single inventory management application that serves as a canonical source of data about our stock levels.

The majority of items sold at our locations are prepared, consumable F&B items (think lattes, etc.). We obviously don't track stock for those, but we would like to track stock/cost for the ingredients (syrup containers, etc.). Our hopes were high for Square for Retail, but we are encountering difficulties that hinder insights, even if we add "warehouse" as a location to Square Dashboard. The biggest two issues are these:

• We cannot find an option to filter items from the POS. Ideally, certain categories (like "supplies") could be tracked as items but not clutter the POS interface (we wouldn't sell syrup bottles, for instance). Is this a planned feature (or an already-implemented one that I'm just having trouble finding?)
  • We cannot find an option to decrement stock levels for consumption. For example, when opening a new syrup container, we would like to decrease the stock by 1. But the adjust stock dialog offers a limited number of reasons for stock adjustment ("Stock Received," "Inventory Re-Count," "Damage," "Theft," "Loss," "Return"), none of which seem suitable to track regular consumption.

Has anyone who uses Square for restaurants/cafes figured out a solution for this? Or have recommendations for managing supply inventory with external tools? Thanks!

Square

Hi @mlehew and welcome to the Seller Community! I'm going to double check on your questions with our Retail POS Team and then follow up with you soon! 

Square

Hi again @mlehew. Thanks for patience while I synced with our team on this one. They did confirm that your requests aren't currently features that we offer. I know that our Retail team has a pretty aggressive agenda for expanding feature offerings in the near-future, so I'll be sure to forward your suggestions. You may be able to accomplish some of your questions from the second part of your post through one of our 3rd part integrations (Shopventory or Stitch labs). 

Thanks again for taking the time to post in the community! Hope to hear more from you in the future. 

I would like an option for this as well! To keep track of products used for services I provide.

Admin

Hello, @DeanaFerris. Thanks for bringing this up here — I can certainly see how this designation would be helpful for a wide variety of businesses. While we do not currently offer a warehouse inventory option, rest assured that I'll be surfacing your post with our Product Liaison team who is always making improvements based on seller feedback.

In the meantime, I would suggest the following:

• Have a look at services that we've partnered with to see if they can offer a solution that works well for your warehouse inventory needs. To view a list of current partners, head over to the App MarketplaceItems & Inventory.

Please let us know how things go. If any other sellers in a similar position have any questions, insight, or best practices to add — feel free to chime in!

Us as well!

Is there any update on this option. I too have two cafe’s and want this!

Alumni

Hey @RShafer - Unfortunately, nothing to share on the progress of this feature at the moment. We'll make sure to update this thread if any changes occur in the future and everyone here will be alerted.

Would love to see this as an option!!

I could make this work with just a warehouse as the location for inventory only. Pricing has to be separated and even Square Retail cannot handle my use case. None of the third party solutions do either at least as far as I can determine plus they are way overpriced for a small business selling at multiple mobile locations.