x

Why was my payment processed as cash?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Credit showing as cash]

The other day, I processed a customers credit card payment as usual. However, at the end of the day, it showed up as a cash transaction. It was absolutely not processed as cash, so there was no reason for this to have happened. Has anybody ever had this happen. When contacting Square customer support they insist that it's impossible for this to happen that I must have processed as cash. Cash is a completely different process with different options, so I know that's not the case. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @ErinHPhotos!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. Sorry to hear about this. Before I investigate, I do have a few questions:

1. Did you take this payment on a new device?
  2. Did you take this payment, or did an employee? 
  3. Do you process cash regularly?

I agree with you, it's an unlikely mistake to make if you take payments frequently. Taking a cash payment requires you to manually select cash, while when accepting cards, you just insert or swipe to make the transaction go through. I'd be happy to look into this further. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 4

Hi there!

Thanks so much for getting back to me...

1.This is not a new device; however, it did need to be restarted a few times that day.

2. I personally took the payment.

3. yes we take all forms of payment. We take credit more than anything else, but we do take a fair amount of cash payments as well.

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @ErinHPhotos!

Thanks for the reply. That is so odd. 

Usually I would suggest giving our Support Team a call to see if they can take a look at the transaction, but seeing as you already did that, I wouldn't be able to escalate it any further. If this does happen again, it's now been documented, so we would file a ticket with our Engineering Team to further investigate. 

Apologies that this happened. Please, please let us know if this happens again. Additionally, if you have any screenshots to provide (of when the transaction appeared to be card not cash), let us know. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 4