x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314

I misunderstood the part about loyalty, but my point still stands that people have been waiting. 

Message 274 of 315

Is there an update on the timeline for this key function? I need to make a decision in the next couple weeks about whether or not to stay with Square in 2019. I really don't want to leave Square, but I sell most of my produce by fractions of a pound. I tried both the so-called work arounds (the 1/10th of lb option and the variable pricing), but neither works for me (the former looks unprofessional and confusing and the latter means I'm no longer tracking quantities sold), so after inputting dozens of items, with multiple pricings for each, I still ended up invoicing with excel part way through the season last year. Anyhow, I see this is just another echo of the 2 years of posts prior to mine, but if I could hear "It's coming in a month or..." I'd stick around.

Message 275 of 315

Hi @theglasgos @randyesq @vancesmillfarms @FarmMom

Have any of you found another POS that is comparible to Square and does fractional pricing?

Message 276 of 315
Beta Member

I've decided to start looking at Clover.  A couple of farm vendors at one of the markets I do was using Clover this year, and they liked it.  It doesn't look like it is accessed directly through the company, but through some kind of brokers.  I've been getting calls from Infotech and probably told several companies I couldn't talk to them last time I was looking for an alternative early last Spring.until the Winter when things on the farm slowed down.  I'm going through the same issues, and have two different threads in the forums on the Quantity Decimal Place issue.  I was emailing and calling about it since at least 2013, before there was even a forum, so over 5 years now.  It's really disheartening to think think they are the kind of business that doesn't really listen to their customers, or at least give them a real answer.  

Message 277 of 315

Thank-you for your reply @FarmMom. I'll take a look at Clover. Thanks for your persistance on this. I emailed and called about it last winter, but figured I could make do with this the "10th of a lb" work around, but it really made a mess for me. Especially when I'd print out a packing slip and then try to put an order together for delivery. I really don't want to give up on this, but I need to find something that works for me. This past season I was using Square just at the farm stand for cc payments and then ended up making my own invoices in Excel, but tracking sales by item is a real pain that way. 

Message 278 of 315

PayPal offers the same rates for credit card processing and has a MUCH better and more professional looking invoicing app.  I couldn't switch over because I use recurring invoices (which PayPal wasn't supporting when I looked into it 2 years ago, but maybe they do now), but they might be a great free invoicing option for you guys.

Message 279 of 315
Super Seller Alumni

Our old POS system was with AccuPOS (accupos.com), which is a basic but quite complete and flexible POS.  They accomodate decimal processing, and interface with Sage (ex. Peachtree) accounting, but they do not offer their own charge/debit card processing.  They partner with a separate processor and offer free updates and tech support if you use that processor, which is a significant savings.  Our only problem with their processor was that while their fees were initially reasonable, they did nothing but increase their costs until when we pulled the plug on them, we were at over 5% cost of processing charges/debits.

Judy T Shumway
Message 280 of 315

I went with paypal here for this reason.

Message 281 of 315
Admin

Hey @PridePtg! At this time it's not possible to set up item pricing this way with Square and thanks for letting us know this is important to you. 

I'm moving your post over to this thread where we're sharing updates on this feature request. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 282 of 315

The last post from Square was in July or August of 2018 stating that we wouldn't see the upgrade to decimals in 2018.  Now that we are a month into 2019, what is the status of being able to use decimals?  Update, please.

Summer market season will soon be upon us.  I hate to go through another busy summer season without the ability to fractional units.  

Message 283 of 315

I have good success using the PayPal Here app.  I sell by the wieght as well and the cost is the same as Square. 

Message 284 of 315
Alumni

Hi all - We're looking for some feedback on selling by weight. If you have some time, we'd love to get your thoughts on the questions posted here: https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Point-of-Sale-Using-a-scale-to-sell-items-by-w...

Thank you!

Message 285 of 315
Beta Member

We sell fabric and need to sell in decimal quanties.  When will this be available?

Message 286 of 315
Super Seller

there is not a specific timeline but according to another thread, it is coming.

Message 287 of 315
Admin

Hi @abbimays! The thread that VanKalkerFarms is referring to is here Point of Sale: Using a scale to sell items by weight. In that thread the Point of Sale was looking for insights specifically from sellers using a weighing scale so not quite relevant for your fabric business.

The Point of Sale team will likely post again as they work on this but I don't have a timeline to share when decimal places will be available! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 288 of 315

Literally, never.

Message 289 of 315

This feature has been comming for 3 years. why cant something so simple as adding a fraction be so complicated.

just add another drop down in the invoicing for Hours or weight. Come on you can do this on a dollar calculator but not on a  sales software platform..

Message 290 of 315
Super Seller Alumni

I'm hopeful that it will be coming at some point in the not-too-distant future.  Recently, Square asked for input on how people who used scales would like/need input from the scale would interact with Square.  The potential use of scales as input inplies, to me at least, that partial quantities would also be included.

Judy T Shumway
Message 291 of 315

Still waiting for the decimal point so we can actually use the terminal. We sell in partial quantities, both for fabric by the yard and hardwood by the "board foot". We put in a ton of work entering all of the products we carry but can not use that work. We are about to open two more locations and can not justify more termials until a decimal point can be used for partial quantities.

Please implement something.

Message 292 of 315
Alumni

Hi all - Our Beta team just announced a beta program for decimal quantities. Read more about the functionality and how to sign up as a tester in this post.

Please note that since this is still in beta, it may not work for everyone. Specifically this beta is for iOS users. 

Message 293 of 315
Super Seller Alumni

This is the best news in (almost) ever!  When this rolls out to everyone, it won't be just for iOS though, right?  Specifically, will it work with the Square Register?  🤞🤞🤞

Judy T Shumway
Message 294 of 315