x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314

Yes, I have also been on this thread for a long time and frankly, I came to the conclusion a while back that Square just isn't going to address this. Period.

Their culture is simply "this is what we have, this is how it works". The only good thing is they are pleasant about telling you that you have some good ideas. They just can't bring themselves to tell you to take a hike if you don't like the way it works.

You really have to look at their offerings from a standpoint of will it do what I need out of the box? If it does not, you must keep moving...

At this point, I just need to figure out how to unsubscribe from this useless thread...

Roy

Message 190 of 315

Hello @EVFabrics and @rpitchford

I wish we could always be completely transparent, but it isn't always the case. Other Square Employees including myself don't want to promise you a timeline that we can't keep. I see how this is extremely frustrating and I get it if some of you on this thread have to use another system other than Square - you have to do what's best for your business. 

I know I might sound like a broken record, but we really do take sellers' feedback into consideration and it is a big part of building a feature. We recently created the option to pay invoices from Point of Sale, a suggestion that I had come across a few times on the Seller Community, and we implemented partial refunds, another community-sourced request. But as you know, seller feedback is not the only determinate when it comes to the priority of a feature being built. Again, sorry I don't have more to offer right now. 

If I have any concrete information, I will make sure to post an update for the thread. 

Message 191 of 315

I'm recommending everyone go to the page that has their "solution" select that the article was not useful and leave a comment requesting decimal pricing. If everyone does this in a short amount of time, maybe, but entirely doubtful, that could finally get some eyes on it.

Message 192 of 315

@lior Hugely necessary for me and the professionalism/expansion of my business. Happy to discuss.

Message 193 of 315

@ninjacowfarm So clear and articulately stated, thanks. Which platform did you move to?

Message 194 of 315

We moved to NCR's silver application. Very similar to Square and with our volume level in sales, actually cheaper over the course of a year than paying the square merchant fee. That includes the equipment cost. It's not a perfect application and there are some things I miss about square but I won't be going back. 

Message 195 of 315
Beta Member

Do you mind sharing the approximate volumeof business you do each year?  Our farm is finally breaking about $50,000 in annual sales, with a couple months hitting about $6,000 sales for the month.  I'll haveto look into NCR Silver, butwondering if it would beworth it for us.

Message 196 of 315

We are doing about 160-170 thousand per year. At 50k square probably makes more sense. I think 100k was our break even in sales to get a payback in 12 months for all costs. 

Message 197 of 315
Alumni

@FarmMom, makes sense - thanks for replying with this. Our programmers (and team, and designers, all of us! 🙃 ) will keep it in mind. 

Message 198 of 315
Beta Member

Are there any updates on this feature. Of course not. 

Message 199 of 315

How has this yet to be implemented from a year ago? I work as a service and bill my customers by time, I do not always work up to a round hour.

I'm really interested in switching to square because visually it fits my brand better, but I continue to have to stick with PayPal because they offer the features I need and Square doesnt.

Message 200 of 315

I have a work around since Square continues to fail to resolve this genuinely!

Especially for anyone who is a service provider who potentially has clients. I have discovered the beauty and organizational ease that is Dubsado! Your first 3 clients are free after that it's $20 a month which I honestly think is well worth the cost for everything it does.

Create lead funnels, proposals, contracts, and invoices all in one place. Their invoicing ALLOWS DECIMALS and guess what, it processes through Square but VIA their own system. BOOM. Best answer that's yet to be provided at a low cost with a multitude of other perks and you can charge clients however you **bleep** well operate your business. Hallelujah companies that GET IT!

Message 201 of 315

This is something we really need! I am a computer consultant and charge by the quarter-hour. While I'm happy to see variable pricing (which was also very important), I need decimal quantities. Putting in a single hour at a variable (total) price has two problems: my quantity sold totals are wrong, and the total is not easy for clients to confirm the number of hours billed and at what rate.

I can't image this is at all difficult to implement, so why is it taking so long to be available in your otherwise excellent product?

Message 202 of 315

Just adding my support for the need for the decimal point function. We sell seafood and virtually none of our items are exactly 1lb. Its been really frustrating invoicing our clients when we have to enter variable prices for each line item. We are happy with Square and don't want to change for a single function, but as our orders grow we don't want to keep taking them over the phone to avoid what I believe should be a pretty simple fix. Thanks for looking into the issue.

Message 203 of 315

Has Square figured out how to add decimal quantities for those of us who sell by the pound?

Message 204 of 315

Lol, don't count on it. We've been asking for this for years and nothing seems to get done. Would be nice though.

Message 205 of 315

Square, O Square, 

O when will you care?

About what your customers need and desire

Words with no backing

As clearly we are still lacking

A simple decimal to share

You have proven

That you aren't moven'

On this issue as fast as could be

I'm beginning to think

This relationship stinks

As it appears to be all one-sided

Square, O Square, 

O when will you care?

About what your customers need and desire

No more words in vain.  Please give us a deadline of completion for this simple request since the beginning of time.  Otherwise I too, am calling off my relationship and breaking up with you.

Message 206 of 315

This is a really large issue for me too.  I'm thinking of going to Paypal because of it as everyone else is doing.

Message 207 of 315

This is decidedly an IMPORTANT feature that needs implementation as soon as possible.  I am a contractor and I charge an hourly rate, often charging partial hours.  My clients would be more than a little confused at a by-the-minute rate which appears to be the only currently available option.  Please, please, please make this implementation soon!

Message 208 of 315

I LOVE Dubsado for a CRM and invoice system. They allow you to send an invoice with decimal quantities and you have the ability to link to Paypal AND Square. Perfect work around for a super low monthly cost.

We've all been hiding out on this thread for years and I've officially moved on from thinking Square will ever provide a solution, so I went and found my own and still get to use their service.

Message 209 of 315
Beta Member

Square just sent out an email for a survey for a new invoicing system and the was a question about charging using fractional quantities. Looks like they may put it in a subscription based system which means we will pay even more than we do already.

Message 210 of 315