x

How do I connect my new chip Reader?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 70
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

You can connect your new contactless and chip reader wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy or by plugging the USB cable into the hardware hub on your Stand.

To connect your reader wirelessly:

• Press and release your reader's button to turn it on.
  • Go into your device settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Open the Square app and tap the three lines, then Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader. (On an iOS device, you can tap Contactless + Chip Reader.
  • Press the reader's button for 3–6 seconds to put it into pairing mode.
  • Release the button as soon as you see the orange flashing lights. If the lights turn red, you've held the button too long and need to try again.
  • When your reader appears on the screen, tap it. That means it's paired. The reader will be listed as Ready in the app.

Have a look at the video tutorial below, and learn more in our Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

Connect via Bluetooth LE:

Connect via Square Stand:

If you're having trouble with your connection... 

• First, make sure you're using one a compatible device at http://square.com/compatibility.
  • Then, check that your device's iOS or Android operating system us up to date
  • Finally, confirm that you're running the latest version of the Square app.

This article has more troubleshooting tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting. If none of these steps work, I will escalate your issue. But hopefully we can figure out the issue to save you the extra back and forth.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
Alumni

Best Answer

You can connect your new contactless and chip reader wirelessly via Bluetooth Low Energy or by plugging the USB cable into the hardware hub on your Stand.

To connect your reader wirelessly:

• Press and release your reader's button to turn it on.
  • Go into your device settings to ensure Bluetooth is turned on.
  • Open the Square app and tap the three lines, then Settings > Card Readers > Connect a Reader. (On an iOS device, you can tap Contactless + Chip Reader.
  • Press the reader's button for 3–6 seconds to put it into pairing mode.
  • Release the button as soon as you see the orange flashing lights. If the lights turn red, you've held the button too long and need to try again.
  • When your reader appears on the screen, tap it. That means it's paired. The reader will be listed as Ready in the app.

Have a look at the video tutorial below, and learn more in our Support Center: Set Up the Square Contactless + Chip Card Reader.

Connect via Bluetooth LE:

Connect via Square Stand:

If you're having trouble with your connection... 

• First, make sure you're using one a compatible device at http://square.com/compatibility.
  • Then, check that your device's iOS or Android operating system us up to date
  • Finally, confirm that you're running the latest version of the Square app.

This article has more troubleshooting tips: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting. If none of these steps work, I will escalate your issue. But hopefully we can figure out the issue to save you the extra back and forth.

Message 2 of 70

This is my second chip reader that has quit reading after about 3 wks of use. I have had no choice but to swipe the cards. I am not a very happy customer right now.

Message 3 of 70
Alumni

That sounds frustrating, @unhappy. Can you take a look at these troubleshooting tips? https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting

If nothing there works, then you'll need to submit a warranty claim.

Message 4 of 70

Same problems. I've done all the trouble shooting and it still doesn't work. I think I was able to take a total of 3 payments with it before it stopped staying paired. Now I need to look for another company.

Message 5 of 70
Alumni

Sorry for the issues, @thedesertfrog. If you've tried all the troubleshooting tips and the reader still won't work, you'll need to submit a warranty claim: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5148

(As an aside, we've found that keeping your iPad from sleeping can help prevent the reader from going to sleep and unpairing.)

Message 6 of 70

I do not understand what you mean by pressing the reader's button. My devices do not seem to have any buttons at all.

Maybe I have the wrong devices but I have a 2 1/2" square device that looks like it accepts credit cards in a slot (presumably for reading the credit card's chip) plus another 1" square device that I think is for swiping. I'm not sure if these are wireless, but the cord coming out of the larger square reader has a USB end which does not fit anywhere on my Samsung phone. Also, the 1" square reader has a round male plug on it that doesn't seem to match anything either. There were no instructions provided by the company. Can aryone tell me how to use thies things?

Message 7 of 70
Alumni

Hi Jim - Sounds like the first one you're describing is our Contactless and Chip Card reader to accept EMV chip cards as well as Apple Pay/Android. This pairs up with your phone wirelessly via Bluetooth. The USB cord is provided for you to charge it when the battery dies or to hook up to your Square Stand. Learn more at Accept Payments with the Contactless + Chip Reader

The other device is our free Magstripe reader. It is indeed used to accept Magstripe cards via swiping as a backup if you come across a customer who doesn't have an EMV chip card. You would connect this to your phone via headphone jack. If you don't have a headphone jack on your phone and you have an iPhone 7, we have an adapter for it. Check out Swipe Card Payments with the Square Reader for more info.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 70

How do i connect my Square reader +chip cards to my iPhone plus 6?

Message 9 of 70

about me?  I am trying to connect my new chip reader, getting it paired but then it doesnt connect.  says reader not ready.  what now?

Message 10 of 70
Alumni

Hi @echo and @thwinger, you guys have just about the same question as @PopcornMonkey. Please see the info above. If you're still having trouble, write back and we'll try to get your info sorted out.

Message 11 of 70

No that was not helpful at all. Escalate! I have the $29 model and an iPhone 6 Plus do they connect up and how?
Message 12 of 70
Alumni

@thwinger, Apologies. The chip card reader (https://squareup.com/shop/reader) plugs into the phone jack of your iPhone 6 Plus. 

This Help Center article has info on how to get started with your reader: http://squ.re/1Ec94t4

Message 13 of 70

I also have the $29 reader and it says "connecting to reader" and then "reader not ready". I have the Samsung Galaxy note edge which it says is supported. I have updated everything, charged everything, I have not been able to get it to work since I got it and actually had to manually enter a card because of it not working.
Little help
Message 14 of 70
Square

@JYNdesigns Our Support Team can help, check out this thread to get in contact with our team. 

Message 15 of 70

We have a regular Square reader.  Do we need an additional reader for chip cards?

Message 16 of 70
Alumni

Hi @Gagabev, I've merged your message with this thread on connecting the new Square Reader (http://squ.re/1V6WMYG). This one is equipped to handle chip cards, so you don't need to get an additional one. If these tips don't help you out, write in and we'll try to get to the bottom of it.

Message 17 of 70

how do you set up the chip reader device?

Message 18 of 70
Alumni

This thread should have the answer you're looking for. Please get in touch if you have other questions!

Message 19 of 70

Yes, we have been having trouble with our chip reader since we received it. Recently (last week or so) we haven't been able to connect at all with it. (When I say connect I mean from the reader to our tablet). When it does connect, it drops after a short period of time. Our Mag reader works. I’ve tried everything I can think of to correct this issue, including uninstalling and re-installing the app several times. We are at a loss and frankly fed up with Square’s lack of support for Acer and Intel Chip set tablets in general. Thinking about dropping Square and going to a different processing Co. and or Bank (if they offer the service). Is there anyone out there experiencing the same problems? Any fixes?

Thanks STP

Message 20 of 70

I am having trobles as well and no phone contact available. Do you know how to reach bye phone?

Message 21 of 70