x

Is Square for Retail good for a tailor shop?

Hello,

I'm new to Square and have some questions, I hope someone can give me some insights.

We are a small tailor shop and we are looking at ways to optimize our order system. So unlike a clothing store, we don't sell clothes but service to alter clothes. We currently are using Geelus and there are some pros/cons. We use a Square stand to charge for our customers and we are looking at Square for Retail to see if we should transfer to Square. I'm on Square for Retail trial and trying to put together my inventory/order set

So couple of questions:

• Is there anyone has experience with Square for Retails for a shop that offer services, rather than products? What's your opinion on this system?
  • I need a set of orders that is flexible. I tried modifiers but when testing the order, it is a fixed price (as set). Is there a way to change the price (because in our orders, sometimes prices go up/down for the same job/service depends on the kind of fabric)
  • With Geelus we print out a ticket that has a barcode, and use that barcode to keep up with orders. Now without barcode, what other alternatives you have use to keep track of orders?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Is there a feature in Square for Retail you really think you need or can you use what 98% of people use, including me, the Free Square POS?

Message 2 of 7

I am in the same boat.  I have an alteration/tailoring shop.  I started using square, but haven't quite figured out how to tailor the receipts for the services provided.

Message 3 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @snseol- While Square for Retail provides receipts with barcodes to help our merchants pull up transactions. Using services instead of items isn’t a feature that Square for Retail intended, although the system does allow you to add services. This is why adding services to a receipt is not yet available. This does not mean that this feature won’t come in the future. We will keep you posted if this gets updated. 

Thanks! 😃

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 7

Hi pal, did you find a way to use square, I am in the same position as you are.

Message 5 of 7

I use square for my alteration business.  I love that I can do set prices for everything.  And when a customer ask how much X cost we can easily pull it up.  I can use the inventory to keep track of zippers and if I buy something for a project I am able to put it in as weel.  I do use sales orders that I buy from walmart in order to keep a paper trail... But once we are do we go to the square and make a Titcket that we can pull up later when the customer comes in to pay and pick up items.    I like that I have the option to Text the customers on Square Dash board.  I saw yesterday I am able to add a service charge when my customers want to use their Credit cards.  No more added "tax" that we had to remove if the customers were paying with cash or check.

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing this feedback @DesignsbyVivian!

Message 7 of 7