x
Square

Square Point of Sale Update - Card on File

I’m very excited to announce the latest update to the Square Point of Sale app. Card on File will give you the ability to safely store and charge your customers cards in your Point of Sale app all while staying compliant with PCI standards and creating a seamless experience for your customer.

This has been one of our most requested features and I’m here to tell you about it - let’s get started! A few things to note before we jump in:

• You’ll pay a fee of 3.5% + 15 cents each time you complete a payment with a card on file using the Square app.
  • Card on File is only available for the Square app on iOS and Android devices.
  • Apple pay, Android pay, and Samsung pay cannot be stored, but this is a feature we’re looking into.

Let’s set it up! I’ll walk you through how to enable Card on File for your Account, the different ways you can save a card, how to charge a card once it’s saved, and, finally, how to unlink a card that is no longer in use.

Enable Card on File

First things first, we will need to enable Card on File for your account. To turn on Card on File:

• Open the Square app and tap the following icon:
  • Tap Settings > Customer Management.
  • Toggle on Charge and Save Cards to Customer Profiles to save your customers’ payment card information to your in-app Customer Directory.
  • To save a card after a sale, toggle on Show Save Card Button After Checkout.

Save your Customer’s Card

Once you have enabled your settings, you’ll be able to start saving your customer’s cards. There are three ways that you can save a customer’s card: before a sale, after a sale, or through the Customer Directory in your Point of Sale App.

Before a sale
Note: It’s a little easier using your device in landscape view.

• Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner > Add Customer.
  • Select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.
  • Tap Edit Personal Information > scroll to the bottom and tap Add Card.
  • Swipe the card or manually key in the payment card (or Square Gift Card) information. You’re required to enter the customer’s name and email address.
  • Have your customer enter their email address for receipts.
  • Have your customer authorize the card on file for future purchases by entering their billing ZIP code. Your customer will receive an email confirming that you have saved a card on file for them.
  • You’ll see Card Saved once it’s linked to the customer’s profile. If your business has multiple locations, you can use a saved payment card to process a transaction at any of them.

After a sale
To start, ring up your customer as you normally would. Once you’ve completed the payment, you can store the payment card information used in the sale using the steps below.

• Tap the add card icon in the top-left corner of the All Done Screen.
  • Select an existing customer or tap Create New Customer.
  • Use steps 3-7 from the section above, “Before a sale” to add and save the payment card information.

From your in-app Customer Directory

• Tap Customer > select an existing customer from the list or tap Create New Customer.
  • Use steps 3-7 from the section above, “Before a sale” to add and save the payment card information.

Charge a card

Once you have your customer’s card linked, you can process a transaction or Invoice without ever having the physical card present.

From the Square app
Note: We recommend using your device in landscape view for each set of steps below.

• Add items to your cart or a enter a custom amount.
  • Tap Charge > Customer Cards on File.
  • Select a customer with a card on file > tap Charge to select a payment card for the transaction.
  • Complete the payment flow.

With Open Tickets

• Add items to your cart or a enter a custom amount.
  • Tap the drop-down arrow in the upper-right corner > Add Customer.
  • Select a customer with a card on file.
  • Tap Charge.
  • Card on File displays as a new tender type at the bottom of the screen. Tap Charge next to the card on file that you would like to use for the payment.
  • Complete the payment.

Once you complete the transaction, Square Point of Sale will automatically send a receipt to the email address that is registered on your customer’s profile within your app.

Unlink a Card

If your customer ever needs to update their card or would like to delete their card completely, you can either manually remove the card or have them remove the card themselves.

Manually Remove

• Tap Customers > Select the customer you need to edit.
  • Tap Edit Personal Information > Remove Card.

Your customers can also remove their own cards by following the link provided to them on all card on file notifications and receipts, these emails will go out to your customers when their card is stored, when their email address is changed, and when a payment is made using a card on file.

The link on these notifications will take them to their Card on File Dashboard, where they can view and remove the cards on file associated with your business.

Thanks for reading! You can keep up with all of our latest releases by subscribing for email updates. Please feel free to start a new thread if you have any feedback for us.

See you next time!
The Square Point of Sale Team

P.S. Click here and subscribe to receive email notifications each time we publish an update for Square Point of Sale!

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Beta Member

Thats a great feature however the 3.5% + 15 cents isnt good

Message 2 of 31
Square

@Roo - We'll be sure to share your feedback. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 31
Beta Member

thanks.  What i mean is id use this feature 100% if it was still standard card present rate

Message 4 of 31

We do not offer this option "save card on file" since we notice about the .15cnts also, we did a few ( 30 or less) clients during the year card keyed sales.  In 2020 I Will personally audit every "card keyed" reported by Square.  Today our Report say we did more card keyed than dipped, but we use INVOICE the major of our sales, my question is ... INVOICE is considered "Card Keyed"  even when the client does not save their cc on file ?

Message 5 of 31
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Leah1512 -

Yes, the invoices are considered "Card Keyed" payment types because usually the customer enters the payment on their end. You can swipe payments, if a customer comes in to pay an invoice.

Whenever it says "Card on File", that's when the card is saved to the Customer's profile. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 31

Is this available for Square Appointment too? The ability to save a customer's CC info in their profile?

Message 7 of 31
Square

While not directly in the Appointments page, your client list is shared with and links to your Customer Directory, where their cards are saved, @diasporasalon. Should work great with it!

Message 8 of 31

3.5% + .15 for using card on file feature? Why is this so much more?

Message 9 of 31
Square

@Bestofwestonhai - To get going, I went ahead and merged your comment with our thread about Card on File. As a manually entered payment, this feature follows our standard pricing for these types of charges. I'll also be sure to share your feedback regarding pricing with our product liaison team.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 10 of 31

When will this feature be added to the Square Point Of Sale app on Android?  According to this article it has been 2 years since it deployed to iOS.

Message 11 of 31
Admin

@nr Card on file is already available on Android devices. I've just updated this post, thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 12 of 31

Will card information be on file for all account transactions or only those done through the ios app.  In otherwords, if a customer completes a transaction through my online shop, will their credit card information be saved?

Message 13 of 31
Admin

@AthenianAcademy This post only refers to saving a card on file from the Point of Sale app. If a customer buys an item from your Online Store their card information will not be saved.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 31

Customer can delete their card themselves!!!!! That is a fact!...so if they owe you money...guess what?? You’re screwed!!! Not too good for the seller!!! 

Message 15 of 31

Hi @BEF

Card on File was built with the purpose of making payments to sellers more convenient for the buyer. Rather than re-entering their payment information for each invoice or appointment, the would have the option to have a card on file. 

Can you provide details around your business and how you're currently using Card on File? There might be something we can suggest that might help with this. 

Message 16 of 31

@EJ_ I agree with the user @BEF  above this is very not good for the sellers I’m losing a lot of money because it makes reserving the appointment with a credit card pointless. HELP!!! 

Message 17 of 31

Yes, we got screwed. Square why do you give option to save cc info and then the costumer can delete at will. How do we compensate for no-show or damage policy ? We need to be able to secure the info for charges afterwards 

Message 18 of 31

I am sorry to hear about this experience @distraeb

At this time customers have the ability to edit their payment and contact information under their Square Profile. This was made possible to protect their privacy and comply with Privacy Laws in several states. 

My suggestion, in case this becomes a constant issue would be to request payment information from your customers over the phone or when the customer walks in. 

I know this may not be the best solution but wanted to I really wanted to clarify why this was possible. Thank you for your understanding and I will make sure to pass this feedback over to our product team for visibility. 

JJ
Message 19 of 31

I tried changing our entire appointment set up to utilize the booking with no-show protection but when I attempted a sample booking I notice it still offers the option to withhold credit card information for future charges. Also, I attempted to make a booking using the no-show protection option and after the booking time began I canceled the reservation but the no-show fee was not charged nothing was charged and since I did not elect for credit card information to be stored the no-show fee was not charged either.  Is there something else missing in my settings that needs to be changed in order to make this scenario work?

Message 20 of 31

This sounds like a good question for our Appointments team, @distraeb 

They can take a look at your account with you to help shine a light here, as they are able to look at your account alongside you in order to pinpoint what's going on here. Please reach out by phone or email when you have a moment by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Message 21 of 31