x
Super Seller Alumni

UPC + SKU

Anyone else require both  SKU and UPC for each item?

The SKU is the only way I can match up my items with my inventory software (Fishbowl) and the UPC is the only way I can scan items with a barcode scanner.  I need both per item.

Message 1 of 29
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: UPC + SKU

Hey @sciabica1936, thanks for bringing this up.

Right now, it's either/or: the Point of Sale app can't track both SKU and UPC for each item.

You can add multiple SKUs to an item, but your Sales Summary report will only reflect the bar code that your scanned at the time of the sale.

If you haven't had a chance already, you might find a solution with our partner apps such at One UpShopventory, or Stitch.

I can see how being able to scan both per item would be helpful for streamlining your inventory process, and I'll be sharing your suggestion with our product liaison team. Thanks for your patience as we work to improve, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @sciabica1936 and everyone following this thread!

I touched base with our Square for Retail team and the ability to upload both UPC and SKU values to the Item Library using the GTIN field is now available!

Note: Only Square for Retail allows you to do this right now — the process on Point of Sale remains the same.

For an illustration and step-by-steps on how it works, check out our Support Center: Using GTINs with Square for Retail.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Admin

Hey @sciabica1936, thanks for bringing this up.

Right now, it's either/or: the Point of Sale app can't track both SKU and UPC for each item.

You can add multiple SKUs to an item, but your Sales Summary report will only reflect the bar code that your scanned at the time of the sale.

If you haven't had a chance already, you might find a solution with our partner apps such at One UpShopventory, or Stitch.

I can see how being able to scan both per item would be helpful for streamlining your inventory process, and I'll be sharing your suggestion with our product liaison team. Thanks for your patience as we work to improve, and please don't hesitate to reply with any other questions!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 29

Any update on whether/when this is happening? I also use SKU and UPC interchangeably, which creates a clutter of 'variations' in the Square database.

Message 3 of 29

Hello @B_kauff23, currently we don't have a timeline for this feature, but we are still tracking the requests on this thread! 

Message 4 of 29

It's a shame that it's been over 2 years and still no update for something so neccesary. Who's in charge of these updates? Do you guys need help in finding someone that can impliment this? What is the hold up? 

It's really frustrating when you trust a brand a to be innovative, you build your life and business around them, and then they continue to ignore you.

Message 5 of 29
Alumni

Hi @julians - Really sorry about the frustration, but know that our teams are always taking customer feedback into consideration for future improvements. However, even the best feature requests take time for our team to build. Our Product Managers take a lot of things into consideration when developing new features and addressing limitations of current features. Customer feedback is one huge piece of the puzzle that impacts prioritization, but it’s not the only piece.

You can learn more about what bring a Feature Request to life at Feature Requests & the Seller Community.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 6 of 29

I have the same issue,  SKUs and UPCs need their own fields because they are compeletly different.  I use Stitch and I can't properly import my SKU and UPC data into Square.

Message 7 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

There are only 2 things holding me back from switching my retail registers to Square.  This issue (SKU + UPC) and some form of auto applied discount system.  Seems so simple, but I've been suggesting both for years.

I'm sure it's a drop in the Square bucket, but I would immediately begin processing and additonal $500,000 per year if I had these features.

Message 8 of 29

I'd like to add a +1 to this. We've just started using Square & Weebly and while I am otherwise thrilled with how the new system as been working for us, there are two major issues for us.

1) We need the ability to scan in a manufacture's barcode and associate it with an item that has a different SKU. I am unwilling to spend the time and money on printing out new barcodes based on a product's SKU when literally every item I stock already has barcodes on them.

2) Square is amazing in how it tracks customers. I'd love the idea of adding automatic discount rules for customer groups (Law Enforcement/Military, etc...) and also for sales within a certain time period (holiday sales, etc...)

Message 9 of 29

I would also like to request a separate SKU and barcode field. The SKU does not have to be scannable, but just serachable and reportable.

Message 10 of 29

I'm also looking for a way to store an SKU and barcode for an item. I use Shopventory for my inventory and keeping both the SKU (for reorders) and the barcodes (for inventory and sales) would be a great feature.

Thanks!

Message 11 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and interest with this @Daniel_Gallant

Hopefully we can get something built out in the future to help with this, but we don't have anything new to report as of right now. 

If something comes up, we'll post an update for everyone. 

Message 12 of 29
Super Seller

A little late to the game, but I've been using the items "Variation Name" to store the SKU, and the SKU to store the UPC. I realize that won't work for some. But we don't use the Variation Name for anything... Just shows up as "regular" in our reports... So, we make the best of it. I hate that it shows up on the customer's receipt, but it's no dealbreaker. 

Message 13 of 29

I'm testing the square pos to see if I can move from lightspeed.  The main grab for me was the connection to Bigcommer.  The UPC code is huge for me.  So I put the UPC code on the same line with the sku as well as the sku number.  So far it scans this way.  I haven't tested to see if it gets wiped out when Bigcommerce and square talk to each other, or how it works with receipts.  For me a sku and upc are fundamentals to any pos system as well as tax exempt customers.  I really want to make the switch to Square and I'm hoping these items will have a fix in the future.  However, I do know from speaking with a representative that it's not even on the drawing board.

Message 14 of 29
Beta Member

I am brand new to square and was getting ready to load inventory into Square. This may very well be a deal breaker for me and a real mess as I am trying to get my store open withn the next two weeks. Is there a tested work around for this?  I may just need to scrap Square and go with Quick Books POS.   

Message 15 of 29

My solution was to use Shopventory with the barcode in the SKU field and the reorder SKU in the Barcode field. It's ugly but it works. The sooner Square can add this field the better it will be.

Message 16 of 29

Yes, I also need a UPC and SKU per every item. The place we order are pruducts from have both a UPC for barcode scanning and a SKU so that u can type the shorter number if the barcode does not work. And since the barcode that comes on the products is the UPC we want to put that number in square for one scanner but we would like to add some iPads to our set up and we don't want to have to type the UPC to find the product we are looking for.

Message 17 of 29
Beta Member

Bumping this, two years later, as we need this as well.

Message 18 of 29

This reply was created from merging an existing thread:  Add UPC Field

This topic has been brought up numerous times in the last several years with seemingly no progress.

Square needs to add the ability to set a UPC in addition to a SKU for each item. These two numbers are not interchangeable and have very different functions in the world of retail. Every single item my store comes with it a pre-affixed label that contains the alpha-numeric product SKU and a UPC Barcode. Inventory control and point of sale efficiency would greatly benefit from the ability to simply scan a manufacture's existing barcode into Square and associate it with an item.

It's not cost nor time effective to print new labels containing a barcode generated based on the product's SKU nor does it make sense to make the product's SKU in our system the UPC.

Message 19 of 29
Admin

I'm sorry for the frustration and that there isn't a way have both UPC and SKU fields for each item yet.I  know you've replied in this thread before but unfortunately I don't have a timeline for when this might be available. We'll post in this thread with any updates - that way everyone subscribed to the thread will be notified. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 20 of 29
Beta Member

So, years later still nothing? Come on Square, what retail business don't have this option? We are considering switch because of the lack of this. 

Message 21 of 29