x

how do I set up tax on one item and not another?

I am new to square, bought register set up over 2 months ago and have not brought it to floor yet due to not being able to figure out taxes.  I talked my boss into the purchase actually and hes not happy seeing no results.  I sell chemicals.  The chemicals are taxable but some of the containers they are in, are not.  How would I make this work?  Once a customer pays the non-taxable deposit for the container they dont need to pay it again so this doesnt apply to every sale.  Please help !!

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Your tax settings are completely customizable! You can set up your taxes to only apply to certain items or have special rules in place that can add or remove tax depending on the type of sale. You can get started by visiting your Square Dashboard and selecting "taxes".

From there, select "Apply Tax to Items" and choose only the items that you need to be taxed. Keep in mind you can create multiple taxes and apply each one to different items, so you really are in full control! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Best Answer

Your tax settings are completely customizable! You can set up your taxes to only apply to certain items or have special rules in place that can add or remove tax depending on the type of sale. You can get started by visiting your Square Dashboard and selecting "taxes".

From there, select "Apply Tax to Items" and choose only the items that you need to be taxed. Keep in mind you can create multiple taxes and apply each one to different items, so you really are in full control! 

Message 2 of 4

If running an automotive repair shop how do u set up square to charge tax on parts only and not the labor portion?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @Havhammer! I moved your question to this thread so you can take a look at @ Kelly's answer, which outlines how to select taxes for some items and not others. 

Please reach back out if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4