x
Admin

Are you selling online? Which website provider do you use? ๐Ÿ›’ ๐ŸŒ

Hey, everyone! ๐Ÿ‘‹
For those of you selling online, which website provider do you use, and what do you like about it? Reply and let us know in the comments below! ๐Ÿ˜Š

Elisabeth (she/they)
Join a Group to connect with other business owners like you!
Message 1 of 145
144 REPLIES 144

We are using Etsy and Amazon. Amazon is absolutely terrible. The algorithm, the process to upload items. The lack of search ability. Etsy was user friendly fees have been reasonable and we have had movement.

Message 2 of 145
Beta Member

I'd been curious about selling on Amazon, but it seemed like a huge hassle.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I've heard other people say that they like selling on Etsy.

Message 3 of 145

amazon only works if you have a universal item number. if you create anything  you can't post it. and they promote the sellers that pay them to stock the items so it supports china import companies more than the US small business. 

Message 4 of 145

Are you referring to FBA? Amazon doesn't promote those items either. Sellers need to pay for promotion on Amazon. At least that was my experience for the 5 years I tried to sell there. FBA apparently works for some people, but it didn't seem cost-effective to me. 

Message 5 of 145
Beta Member

Thank you for sharing your Besos experience. I'll stay clear of that.

I'm thinking I'll link with Etsy and FB/IG and Googlemarket - bit by bit. Love Square and enjoy it.

Madeline she/her
Message 6 of 145
Super Seller

I heard there was an increase in Etsy fees - last I checked, they were about 6.5%. Are you seeing the same? It is kind of tricky to find, I feel like it is hidden

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 7 of 145
Beta Member

I am selling primarily online

Tasha Jones
Message 8 of 145

I agree with it 

Message 9 of 145
Beta Member

I sell on my own website and on square.  I now set up a domain forwarding to square now.  

I might go on Etsy as well.

MMB
Message 10 of 145

I was on Shopify but became too expensive. I have a contactless reader for craft shows and now have an online website with Square so inventory/sales are accounted for in one place. I have my own domain and connected it to square.

Message 11 of 145

On a Wordpress/WooCommerce site.

Message 12 of 145

How hard was that to set up? I have a blog on WordPress already and I've been debating connecting my Square Shop to it.

Message 13 of 145

Are you on squarespace, or square up?  I love square up.  For the most part it is very user friendly and offer a lot of features on their no-pay plan.

Message 14 of 145
Beta Member

We sell on Etsy and also have two Shopify stores. I would hands down recommend Shopify if you're looking to build your own website. 

Message 15 of 145

What do you like about Shopify?  Did you look at any other platforms?  

Message 16 of 145
Beta Member

We did. We have used Squarespace and weโ€™ve used Squareโ€™s website. We have also done Drupal development and built our own site - similar to Wordpress. Shopify is hands down the best for E-commerce. The functionality they provide (or is provided by applications) - wish lists, out of stock notifications, sales. They coordinate with Klaviyo / the best email newsletter provider. They offer reporting that is useful. I could go on and on. 

Message 17 of 145

do they set it up for you or do you have to set it up yourself? Fees?

Message 18 of 145

Shopify is a web hosting company, not a marketplace ... so you need to build your own site (or hire someone to do it for you). You can find the fees on their site or via Google. I think it's about $29/month. Last time I looked at it, there was also a "Lite" version which allows you to put buy buttons on a blog or another web site (this can also be done with PayPal for no monthly fee). 

Message 19 of 145

We used to use Shopify until they introduced pricing for their retail pos, which basically put up our costs by almost ยฃ800 per year.

We would also have needed to pay for extra integration to sync our website and pos sales.

Shopify pos also had fewer features than square - so we switched to square and will now be using them for our website too.

In total, we will be saving almost ยฃ1,000 per year for the same thing - but with the added bonus of easy website and pos inventory integration included.

Message 20 of 145

I have my own domain, platform is wix and use square for e-commerce.  I ship through ship station.  Still looking for a robust all in one app but have yet to find one.  Stay away from amazon.  I am employee and you will lose.

Message 21 of 145