x

Advice for Farm Sales on Square

We have a farm that sells 100% grassfed beef and fresh strawberries directly to the consumer. At present, we are accepting cash and checks as payments. We are considering using square to take credit/debit card payments. We are not interested in using the square reader on our phones. What would be the best set-up?

1. We would not be keeping inventory on the system.

2. The meats are pre-priced at the processor. Strawberry prices are calculated at the scale. Total payment will be calculated off-system and charged on the system.

3. Sales are in the field, but WiFi can probably be extended that far.
4. A receipt generation of some type would be desired to provide a copy to customer and a back-up tally for us.
5. If we have sales at two locations at the same time, will we be able to use the charge system simulataneously?
6. Is card and bank information secure if on public WiFi?

Thanks for your help.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

we use square at our farmer's markets and hopefully, I can address your questions.

1. no problem you don't have to use Square inventory features.

2. this won't be a problem either to just type in a total and charge it.  

3. you will need a good signal on wifi or a phone hotspot, we have a wifi router that blankets the sales area and does fine.

4. you can email or text receipts, or buy a paper receipt printer.

5. yes you can have as many sales and locations at a time as you want.

6. yes the credit card data is encrypted at swipe or dip and then transferred to phone and then to servers.

you say you don't want to use Square on your phones so are you wanting to set up a permanent iPad with cash drawer and receipt printer?

Depending on what your goals are I would recommend running all cash, check and credit card processing thru Square for sales tracking and trend analyzing etc.  I would have a beef button that you choose and type in the price on the package, a strawberry button with the price of strawberries.  It is best to split up your sales to track them best.  You won't believe the amount of information that will be available to you to look at sales trends and such.

Message 2 of 2