x
Admin

Grow Your Business: Live Q&A with the Founders of Harlem Biscuit Company

unnamed-1.png

Hello Sellers — On April 6th, Melvin “Boots” Johnson and Warren Satchell, co-owners of Harlem Biscuit Company in New York City, hosted a Q&A on the topic of resiliency.

In March of 2020, Chef Melvin “Boots” Johnson couldn’t get unemployment benefits. “So I took my skills and just said, ‘Alright, I’m going to do something,’” he says. “And I started cooking fried chicken and biscuits, right out my garage.” His leap of faith turned into a leap of certainty. “Next thing you know I have 30 orders from moms that are just excited to not be cooking on a Friday night.”

That was the first unofficial day of Harlem Biscuit Company and since then they’ve sold over 7,000 biscuit sandwiches. Boots teamed up with his business partner Warren Satchell and together they are rapidly building their business, looking for a permanent brick-and-mortar location, and tackling any challenges that come their way. 

Boots and Warren talked about starting a new business, taking risks, connecting with the community, and managing quick growth. Read more about Harlem Biscuit Company, and other resilient business owners like them, in Square’s Stronger Than Before whitepaper.

harlem-biscuit-company.png

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

Will and Determination are the key to a resilient business!  We thankfully have a product that does most of the work for us but we still have to show up daily with a mindset to WIN! 

Warren J. Satchell
Message 43 of 57
Admin

Well said! Thank you! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 44 of 57
Admin

Thank you for taking the time to share your story and answer questions here, Warren and Melvin! I had a couple of questions about how you formed your business:

@bootsbites, what compelled you to find a business partner vs. trying to do it all on your own?
@satchellwarren, how did you know this was something you wanted to be a part of?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 45 of 57

Ive done this before for other people. So now it's time to do it for myself.

Im a chef. I can create and cook all day long and run a successful restaurant. But i knew i needed someone that could sell what was coming out of my head and also stop me when i needed to be stopped. Warren is a marketing Guru! The perfect partner. 

Melvin L. Johnson
Message 46 of 57

How would you grow your social media presence in a highly competitive market?

Message 47 of 57

The best way to grow is to have someone do it for you. Someone intimately connected to your brand, the industry that you operate it and who can 100% focus on it. Running a business coupled with all of these additional platforms to manage is rather challenging. This is one thing that I would for sure say if you have the ability to outsource it, do so. If not carve out a strategy that you think you can maintain and let it happen organically just understand the build will be much, much slower. 

Warren J. Satchell
Message 48 of 57
Super Seller

Would you be interested to open in the Los Angeles, South LA market?

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 49 of 57

Absolutely!  #westcoastwarren is on the vision board. 

Warren J. Satchell
Message 50 of 57
Super Seller

PM me or email me if you like rene@gourmetsonwheels.com

Message 51 of 57

Im from LA so to have a place there would be great. 

Melvin L. Johnson
Message 52 of 57
Super Seller

We are working on a place for creators in South LA

Message 53 of 57
Square

Question about the pop-up route: What are the pros and cons of using a pop-up model, and what would you recommend that fledgling food businesses look for in a brick-and-mortar partner? Is location more important that anything else?

Laura Faustman
Message 54 of 57

Location, Location, Location is key! But more importantly what's key is doing your homework! You have to understand the market as much as you understand your brand plus what you're building. Make sure you have done extensive research on the market globally and locally, the competition, the opportunity and what needs you are answering. 

Warren J. Satchell
Message 55 of 57
Super Seller

Congratulations fellas, good on ya! 

So, being that this business was born out of necessity, what other items do you think would be a good fit for your brick and mortar and is it possible to collaborate with other local craftspeople to feature their items in your location?

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 56 of 57

How can i have people buying from my business 🙂

Message 57 of 57