x
Admin

Live Q&A: Ask Us Anything About Email & Text Message Marketing For the Holidays!

Hello Sellers!

On November 1, 2022 the Square Marketing team hosted a Q&A focused on helping sellers get the most out of Square Text Message and Email Marketing this holiday shopping season.

Our hosts were @kcapps (Product Manager) and @faiza (Product Marketing Manager) who are not only experts on Square Marketing products & services, they have extensive experience within the marketing field itself!

A few example questions:

• How do I set up automations with Square Text Message Marketing?
  • What's the best way to build a list of potential customers for an email marketing campaign?
  • If I could do "________" with either text message or email marketing, it would greatly improve my customers' experience.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 2.37.15 PM.png

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 77
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope all your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

1. Marketing Opt-ins: How do I grow my list subscribers in the most ethical way?

Square Email Marketing and Text Message Marketing would only send messages to customers that have opted in with their email address, phone number or both, so only customers who want to receive marketing from your brand would receive this.

There are many ways to collect marketing opt-ins. For Email, we collect marketing opt-ins during the Email Receipt flow. For customers that choose a Text Receipt or No Receipt, you can turn on the Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection. This will prompt a screen after the transaction and receipt that asks the customer if they want to opt-in to email marketing.

If you use Square Online or Square Online Checkout, you can also collect email opt-ins during a customer’s online checkout, and via website contact forms which can be found in your Square Online dashboard in Website > Form Submissions and Communications > Pop-Ups > Collect Emails.

For Text Message Marketing, once you subscribe to this product, in your Marketing Dashboard Settings you can set up a Text to Join program with a QR Code that is printable to place in your store or otherwise share with customers. This option is great because they can scan the QR code to sign up after they have walked away from the register. You can also email your customers and ask them to subscribe to your Text Marketing program by texting JOIN to your Square assigned phone number.

If you have a Loyalty Program, when a customer signs up for Loyalty, they consent to Text Message Marketing as well, this allows us to send promotional messages related to their Loyalty program via SMS.
    Square cares deeply about customer data privacy, so all methods described above are fully compliant with data collection laws, and a customer can easily opt-out of marketing with one click from an email or text at any time.

2. Marketing & Coupon Best Practices

A coupon strategy can vary quite a bit depending on the business. Some sellers may choose not to use a coupon in their campaigns very often (the coupon can easily be removed from any campaign template) while others may choose to actively discount at each stage of the customer lifecycle (i.e. Welcome, Drive Repeat Purchase, Birthday, and Lapsed campaigns). If you’re new to couponing, a good rule of thumb is to consider your average purchase value (average ticket), and determine what kind of discount would make sense. You want to offer enough that it incentivizes a purchase, but not so much that you offset your net revenue. You may need to experiment with coupon types to see which one performs best with your customers.

You can create coupons from within an Email or Text campaign while you’re building it, or you can go to Marketing Dashboard > Coupons > Create Coupon to create a custom code that you can print or share elsewhere.

Other ways to motivate customers is to connect them to your brand with product announcements, compelling product images, brand stories, and so on.

3. How do I get started marketing for the Holidays?

We recommend you to start on our Dashboard by creating either an email or text campaign. For email, we encourage you to use our holiday email templates that make it super easy for you to create holiday-themed messaging.

I also recommend you to consult our Holiday Guide which includes relevant Townsquare content to learn how other sellers have used Email Marketing to drive their business.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Kelsey
Product Manager, Marketing
Learn more about Square Marketing

View Best Answer >

Message 69 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Square

We recommend using Square Marketing instead of Weebly Promote. Weebly Promote is considered a legacy product that is no longer being supported, meaning Square is maintaining this service for existing users, but is not building new features or integrations for it. We will be migrating Weebly Promote services to Square Marketing and Text Message Marketing in late 2023.

Kelsey
Message 22 of 77

thoughts about adding the capability of putting gifs/videos in your emails? 

Message 23 of 77
Square Champion

We currently use gifs in our newsletter emails, but not video. For our business I'm not sure if video would be of benefit, would have to weigh up the time and effort yo generate video content, but gifs certainly help. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 24 of 77
Square

Thank you for so much engagement in our Seller Community @phillipsrw - we are actually adding easy ways to add GIFs and Videos to your marketing campaigns in Q4 2022, to be released sometime this December!

Kelsey
Message 25 of 77
Square

Your wish is our command! I'm excited to announce that we are adding these features in Q4 2022, to be released sometime this December.

Kelsey
Message 26 of 77

Hello and thank you for allowing us to ask questions!! So I just started using your text messaging feature. My customers are receiving an autogenerated coupon code. I don’t have a square-based website (I have Wordpress). How do I make sure each customer can use their code if it’s not connected to my website?

thanks!

Message 27 of 77
Square

Thank you for your question. We're grateful to have you as a Text Message Marketing subscriber!

If you are not using Square Online Website or Square Online Checkout, then the coupon code will not work online for online purchases, but it will still be usable in-store, if your business has the ability to take in-person payments. It is possible to use Square Online Checkout in a non-Square website builder, to ensure that Square is still processing the sale. If you were to set up your e-commerce website that way, then the coupon code would be viable both in-store and online.

Kelsey
Message 28 of 77

Is this feature something customers have already signed up for? I'd hate to send out ads to those who didn't subscribe to this feature? Also, how do I activate text subscription for customers to sign up? Ex. In person check out, the app use to quickly pop up email subscription but now it fairly slow and by then the customer is already on their way. 

Message 29 of 77
Square

Square Email Marketing and Text Message Marketing would only send messages to customers that have opted in with their email address, phone number or both, so only customers who want to receive marketing from your brand would receive this.

There are many ways to collect marketing opt-ins. For Email, we collect marketing opt-ins during the Email Receipt flow. For customers that choose a Text Receipt or No Receipt, you can turn on the Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection. This will prompt a screen after the transaction and receipt that asks the customer if they want to opt-in to email marketing.

If you use Square Online or Square Online Checkout, you can also collect email opt-ins during a customer’s online checkout, and via website contact forms which can be found in your Square Online dashboard in
Website > Form Submissions and Communications > Pop-Ups > Collect Emails

For Text Message Marketing, once you subscribe to this product, you can set up a Text to Join program with a QR Code that is printable to place in your store or otherwise share with customers. This option is great because they can scan the QR code to sign up after they have walked away from the register. You can also email your customers and ask them to subscribe to your Text Marketing program by texting JOIN to your Square assigned phone number.

If you have a Loyalty Program, when a customer signs up for Loyalty, they consent to Text Message Marketing as well, this allows us to send promotional messages related to their Loyalty program via SMS.

Kelsey
Message 30 of 77
Beta Member

I have never used the Square marketing tools, but would like to start. I see square has lots of customer data from every time a card is used. How does one differentiate between those who opt in to emails and texts/can your team provide visibility into general rules of thumb and ethics behind using the data gathered by Square?

Message 31 of 77
Square

While Square does create a customer profile based on a credit card transaction, Square Email Marketing and Text Message Marketing would only send messages to customers that have opted in with their email address, phone number or both, so only customers who want to receive marketing from your brand would receive this.

There are many ways to collect marketing opt-ins. For Email, we collect marketing opt-ins during the Email Receipt flow. For customers that choose a Text Receipt or No Receipt, you can turn on the Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection. This will prompt a screen after the transaction and receipt that asks the customer if they want to opt-in to email marketing.

If you use Square Online or Square Online Checkout, you can also collect email opt-ins during a customer’s online checkout, and via website contact forms which can be found in your Square Online dashboard in 
Website > Form Submissions and Communications > Pop-Ups > Collect Emails

For Text Message Marketing, once you subscribe to this product, you can set up a Text to Join program with a QR Code that is printable to place in your store or otherwise share with customers. This option is great because they can scan the QR code to sign up after they have walked away from the register. You can also email your customers and ask them to subscribe to your Text Marketing program by texting JOIN to your Square assigned phone number.

Square cares deeply about customer data privacy, so all methods described above are fully compliant with data collection laws, and a customer can easily opt-out of marketing with one click from an email or text at any time.

Kelsey
Message 32 of 77

How can I add a subscription (recurring purchases for fee) to my campaigns? What is a good way to introduce monthly subscriptions to my clients?

Message 33 of 77
Square

If your brand now offers a subscription, you can promote a subscription by sending a one-time marketing campaign any time that links your customer to the subscription. For automated campaigns based on subscriptions, we do not currently offer this feature today but greatly appreciate the product feedback.

Kelsey
Message 34 of 77
Beta Member

is a way to send a message to those who walk up in store order (register) when their order is ready? 

Message 35 of 77
Square

This would be considered a transactional message, as opposed to a marketing message. We've definitely received this same request before - our Restaurant POS and E-Commerce teams are actively looking into this capability. I've passed your feedback onto those teams. Thanks for your question!

Kelsey
Message 36 of 77
Square Champion

Love square marketing so far! I have been wanting to get into more email marketing. I would love to see more personalization options, something similar to what mail chimp and other email marketing companies offer. LIke being able to segment customers based on what they buy. Ohh! A great thing for both customer management and email would be to allow them to input important dates. Then we can send them a marketing email a month before that date to tell them "oh hey, it's little bobby's birthday next month. If you want a custom cake, get in touch with us now" or something like that. 

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 37 of 77
Square

Thank you for the valuable product feedback! You can already currently create marketing audiences today based on what they buy. To do this, go to your Customers Directory, click Filters > Items, from there you can customize what kind of purchases (item, item category, etc.) you’d like to filter for. Once you have the audience created that you want to message, you can select this customer group and then click Send Campaign.

Adding important dates is excellent feedback, which I've passed on to our Customer Directory team.

Kelsey
Message 38 of 77
Square Champion

I have too many questions about this subject. So I start with two of the most important ones.

1) Email Marketing - When will be able to delete images from marketing currently I have to click through about 18 pages of images via Load More, I have about 40% of images that I no longer need, and sell. 

2) I imported my list of valid customers from Mailchimp before I closed my Mailchimp account and the numbers I see in "custom"

When I create an email, I get this Imported 272, Online 12, Benelux (Mailchimp) 380 Loyalty 164, Meat 97, email subscribers 389,  Instant  Profile 71, Lapsed 15, Reachable Customers 389. But it only sends the email to 376

And all the categories in bold are ignored. How is that? To me, it looks like it is 850

Screen Shot 2022-10-31 at 3.53.21 PM.png

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 39 of 77
Square Champion

Hello @kcapps and @faiza 

Looking forward to the answers

René

Message 40 of 77
Square

1) To delete images you have previously uploaded, click on the image tile, and you will see a small “X” appear on the top right corner of the image. Click this “X” and confirm that you want to delete the image, and it will disappear.

If you’d like to delete a Free Photo offered by Square, unfortunately these images are provided by a third party and cannot be deleted at this time, however this is excellent product feedback. Your issue is very understandable if you’ve already used the majority of the images for a given keyword.

2) Each of the groupings you are seeing are actually subsets of your total count of reachable contacts. Your group “Email Subscribers” and the total reachable contacts for a campaign (389) matches because this is the actual total count.

The other groupings you’re seeing are different kinds of audiences, essentially sub-groupings of your total (389) with different labels. For example, 164 of your total reachable contacts are also Loyalty customers. 12 of your total 389 reachable contacts have purchased Online. 15 of your 389 reachable contacts are also considered Lapsed. And so on.

If the campaign only ends up sending to 376 out of 389 potentially reachable contacts, it is likely that 13 of those reachable emails bounced, or were invalid in some way when Marketing attempted to deliver the campaign. You can see which emails bounced by clicking on the completed campaign to see the detailed reporting view, and clicking Customer List at the top. In this list you’ll be able to see which contacts the campaign successfully delivered to, and which bounced (if any).

It's not clear to me where you're seeing 850 reachable customers - it's possible not all of your 850 customers are opted-in to marketing.

If you still have questions, please reach out to Support so that we can help dig into this issue with you!

Kelsey
Message 41 of 77
Square Champion

@kcapps That is still a lengthy and tedious way to delete pictures as every time you delete one it goes back to page 1

René

Message 42 of 77