x
Admin

Live Q&A: Ask Us Anything About Email & Text Message Marketing For the Holidays!

Hello Sellers!

On November 1, 2022 the Square Marketing team hosted a Q&A focused on helping sellers get the most out of Square Text Message and Email Marketing this holiday shopping season.

Our hosts were @kcapps (Product Manager) and @faiza (Product Marketing Manager) who are not only experts on Square Marketing products & services, they have extensive experience within the marketing field itself!

A few example questions:

• How do I set up automations with Square Text Message Marketing?
  • What's the best way to build a list of potential customers for an email marketing campaign?
  • If I could do "________" with either text message or email marketing, it would greatly improve my customers' experience.

Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 2.37.15 PM.png

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 77
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope all your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

1. Marketing Opt-ins: How do I grow my list subscribers in the most ethical way?

Square Email Marketing and Text Message Marketing would only send messages to customers that have opted in with their email address, phone number or both, so only customers who want to receive marketing from your brand would receive this.

There are many ways to collect marketing opt-ins. For Email, we collect marketing opt-ins during the Email Receipt flow. For customers that choose a Text Receipt or No Receipt, you can turn on the Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection. This will prompt a screen after the transaction and receipt that asks the customer if they want to opt-in to email marketing.

If you use Square Online or Square Online Checkout, you can also collect email opt-ins during a customer’s online checkout, and via website contact forms which can be found in your Square Online dashboard in Website > Form Submissions and Communications > Pop-Ups > Collect Emails.

For Text Message Marketing, once you subscribe to this product, in your Marketing Dashboard Settings you can set up a Text to Join program with a QR Code that is printable to place in your store or otherwise share with customers. This option is great because they can scan the QR code to sign up after they have walked away from the register. You can also email your customers and ask them to subscribe to your Text Marketing program by texting JOIN to your Square assigned phone number.

If you have a Loyalty Program, when a customer signs up for Loyalty, they consent to Text Message Marketing as well, this allows us to send promotional messages related to their Loyalty program via SMS.
    Square cares deeply about customer data privacy, so all methods described above are fully compliant with data collection laws, and a customer can easily opt-out of marketing with one click from an email or text at any time.

2. Marketing & Coupon Best Practices

A coupon strategy can vary quite a bit depending on the business. Some sellers may choose not to use a coupon in their campaigns very often (the coupon can easily be removed from any campaign template) while others may choose to actively discount at each stage of the customer lifecycle (i.e. Welcome, Drive Repeat Purchase, Birthday, and Lapsed campaigns). If you’re new to couponing, a good rule of thumb is to consider your average purchase value (average ticket), and determine what kind of discount would make sense. You want to offer enough that it incentivizes a purchase, but not so much that you offset your net revenue. You may need to experiment with coupon types to see which one performs best with your customers.

You can create coupons from within an Email or Text campaign while you’re building it, or you can go to Marketing Dashboard > Coupons > Create Coupon to create a custom code that you can print or share elsewhere.

Other ways to motivate customers is to connect them to your brand with product announcements, compelling product images, brand stories, and so on.

3. How do I get started marketing for the Holidays?

We recommend you to start on our Dashboard by creating either an email or text campaign. For email, we encourage you to use our holiday email templates that make it super easy for you to create holiday-themed messaging.

I also recommend you to consult our Holiday Guide which includes relevant Townsquare content to learn how other sellers have used Email Marketing to drive their business.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Kelsey
Product Manager, Marketing
Learn more about Square Marketing

View Best Answer >

Message 69 of 77
76 REPLIES 76
Square

We recommend you to start on our Dashboard to start creating an email campaign.We encourage you to use our holiday email templates/themes that will make it super easy for you to create an email campaign.

I also recommend you to consult our Holiday Guide which includes relevant Townsquare content to learn how other sellers have used Email Marketing to drive their business. 

Message 64 of 77
Square

faiza1_0-1667338559337.png

Sharing this template as a sample, we have more coming later this week!

Message 65 of 77

where can i find my customers that are reoccurring monthly payments to make sure that it was done on the dash board 

Message 66 of 77
Square

Hi @L2F2 

To access reporting data on customers that are receiving your emails, you can click on the ‘Campaigns’ tab in the left-navigation on the Dashboard and view the number of ‘Recipients’ for each of your campaigns. Square Marketing allows you to create smart groups which basically enables you to create a custom audience for each of your campaigns. This is where the number of recipients can vary for each campaign.

To view your Customer list, you can also click on the 'Customers' tab and find out your total number of contacts. 

Message 67 of 77

Thank you for the quick response!  😀

Message 68 of 77
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We hope all your questions were answered—the experiences you've shared will help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

1. Marketing Opt-ins: How do I grow my list subscribers in the most ethical way?

Square Email Marketing and Text Message Marketing would only send messages to customers that have opted in with their email address, phone number or both, so only customers who want to receive marketing from your brand would receive this.

There are many ways to collect marketing opt-ins. For Email, we collect marketing opt-ins during the Email Receipt flow. For customers that choose a Text Receipt or No Receipt, you can turn on the Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection. This will prompt a screen after the transaction and receipt that asks the customer if they want to opt-in to email marketing.

If you use Square Online or Square Online Checkout, you can also collect email opt-ins during a customer’s online checkout, and via website contact forms which can be found in your Square Online dashboard in Website > Form Submissions and Communications > Pop-Ups > Collect Emails.

For Text Message Marketing, once you subscribe to this product, in your Marketing Dashboard Settings you can set up a Text to Join program with a QR Code that is printable to place in your store or otherwise share with customers. This option is great because they can scan the QR code to sign up after they have walked away from the register. You can also email your customers and ask them to subscribe to your Text Marketing program by texting JOIN to your Square assigned phone number.

If you have a Loyalty Program, when a customer signs up for Loyalty, they consent to Text Message Marketing as well, this allows us to send promotional messages related to their Loyalty program via SMS.
    Square cares deeply about customer data privacy, so all methods described above are fully compliant with data collection laws, and a customer can easily opt-out of marketing with one click from an email or text at any time.

2. Marketing & Coupon Best Practices

A coupon strategy can vary quite a bit depending on the business. Some sellers may choose not to use a coupon in their campaigns very often (the coupon can easily be removed from any campaign template) while others may choose to actively discount at each stage of the customer lifecycle (i.e. Welcome, Drive Repeat Purchase, Birthday, and Lapsed campaigns). If you’re new to couponing, a good rule of thumb is to consider your average purchase value (average ticket), and determine what kind of discount would make sense. You want to offer enough that it incentivizes a purchase, but not so much that you offset your net revenue. You may need to experiment with coupon types to see which one performs best with your customers.

You can create coupons from within an Email or Text campaign while you’re building it, or you can go to Marketing Dashboard > Coupons > Create Coupon to create a custom code that you can print or share elsewhere.

Other ways to motivate customers is to connect them to your brand with product announcements, compelling product images, brand stories, and so on.

3. How do I get started marketing for the Holidays?

We recommend you to start on our Dashboard by creating either an email or text campaign. For email, we encourage you to use our holiday email templates that make it super easy for you to create holiday-themed messaging.

I also recommend you to consult our Holiday Guide which includes relevant Townsquare content to learn how other sellers have used Email Marketing to drive their business.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve Square’s products based on your business needs.

Again, thanks for your participation. For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates.

Kelsey
Message 69 of 77
Super Seller

@kcapps Kelsey thanks a million for your donation

René

Life is too short to eat boring cheese.
Message 70 of 77
Square

So happy to support our sellers! 

Kelsey
Message 71 of 77
Super Seller

Hi @kcapps , I’m trying to locate the opt-in for emails mentioned above in the settings section. Is this the settings in marketing?

Email Collection feature in Settings > Customers > Customer Sign Up/Email Collection.

we can’t seem to locate this, is it still active?

Many thanks 😊 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 72 of 77
Square

Hello @phillipsrw, I checked your merchant account and noticed that you're based in the UK. At this time this feature is only available in the US, apologies for the confusion. I'll endeavor to get that support article updated to be clearer about country specific restrictions. 

We are actively looking into how we can build on-Point of Sale email collection capabilities for non-US markets. There are some GDPR specific requirements we'll need to add, but we're very interested in unblocking this for our international sellers! Timeline TBD at this time.

Thank you for your engagement in Seller Community!

Kelsey
Message 73 of 77
Super Seller

Hi @kcapps , thanks for the feedback. This feature would be fantastic to have as we are really struggling with loyalty and marketing sign-ups. Thank you again 😊 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 74 of 77

Hello my dashboard is saying that I cannot utilize the marketing campaigns but never got any communication that I violated terms. I cannot find how to connect with support 

Message 75 of 77
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @lechellmlm 👋

You can reach out directly to our Support Team by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 76 of 77

My text to join doesnt work wondering what i did wrong .

Message 77 of 77